SDRAM 100 MHz 100 MHz X 64 bit= 800 MB/sec
SDRAM 133 MHz 133 MHz X 64 bit= 1064 MB/sec
DDRAM 200 MHz (PC1600) 2 X 100 MHz X 64 bit= 1600 MB/sec
DDRAM 266 MHz (PC2100) 2 X 133 MHz X 64 bit= 2128 MB/sec
DDRAM 366 MHz (PC2600) 2 X 166 MHz X 64 bit= 2656 MB/sec
RDRAM 600 MHz 600 MHz X 16 bit= 1200 MB/sec
RDRAM 700 MHz 700 MHz X 16 bit= 1400 MB/sec
RDRAM 800 MHz 800 MHz X 16 bit= 1600 MB/sec

the computer does work by clock speed, but to measure the Speed of mb transfer one uses MB/Second

but depenging on your pipeline the mb/sec can change...

Ram actually is measured in Nanoseconds..but that is adifferent story.
from: http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid40_gci523855,00.html

"The amount of time that RAM takes to write data or to read it once the request has been received from the processor is called the access time. Typical access times vary from 9 nanoseconds to 70 nanoseconds, depending on the kind of RAM. Although fewer nanoseconds is better, user-perceived performance is based on coordinating access times with the computer's clock cycles. Access time consists of latency and transfer time. Latency is the time to coordinate signal timing and refresh data after reading it."

But i am going way far away from the topic at hand...lol sorry

g5orbust said:
Doesnt RAM (lets assume DDR3200) transmit around 400MB per clock cycle, not second?

Yes it is per clock cycle hehe, but I was trying to keep it nice and simple. Just by saying that every component has different speed.

CPU Clock Cycle

When the CPU needs information from memory, it sends out a request that is managed by the memory controller. The memory controller sends the request to memory and reports to the CPU when the information will be available for it to read. This entire cycle - from CPU to memory controller to memory and back to the CPU - can vary in length according to memory speed as well as other factors, such as bus speed.

Memory speed is sometimes measured in Megahertz (MHz), or in terms of access time - the actual time required to deliver data - measured in nanoseconds (ns). Whether measured in Megahertz or nanoseconds, memory speed indicates how quickly the memory module itself can deliver on a request once that request is received.

ok, now let me ask you an example, would a 333mhz ram work at full speed with a 800mhz mobo?

and would a 400mhz ram work at full speed with a 133mhz (outdated) mobo?

hmm what about processors? would a 533 mhz cpu work at full spd with a 800mhz mobo? how would the speed vary? against the ram or mobo? which has to be higher for it to work at list speed?

The speed at which your CPU accesses your RAM is based on your FSB. If your CPU has an FSB speed at 333MHz (like my current CPU) but your memory has a speed of 400MHz (my current Corsair) then your CPU would simply access your memory at 333MHz.

If your CPU (333MHz) is faster than your memory (266MHz) then your FSB speed would slow down to a speed of 266MHz.

It is abviously a bit more complicated than above, but thats the easiest way to put it.

well yes, AND your FSB, and the amount of memory, AND what kind of video card, AND how fast (RPM) your hard drive spins, AND the seek time speed of that hard drive, .....and that is kinda going off the subject of the question......

:p

As long as you get the RAM speed and your CPU FSB speed the same (not like mine atm) your computer is compatible; as long as your motherboard supports it all :). If you want to invest in faster HDD's or get yourself a nice fast gaming card its upto you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom