Please Help!! System will not boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreaOne

Beta member
Hey everyone, I am hoping that someone here can help me out with a problem I am having.

I just built a new system yesterday and I cannot get it to boot from CD-ROM. I can get into the bios/cmos settings fine but it will not boot from CD-ROM, instead it just sits there and does nothing.

The System-

Shuttle AN35N Ultra nForce2 chipset
Athlon XP 2600+
512mb of Corsair memory
JustLink DVD-ROM
JustLink CD-RW
160gb Samsung HDD
GeForce FX 5700LE video card

The CMOS recognizes the DVD and CD-RW drives fine as well as my HDD. However, when it comes up to boot from CD: it just sits there. The disc is spinning but it never loads or does anything and the disc eventually just stops. I am attempting to load Win XP Pro and I also tried a RedHat 9.0 Linux install CD and neither will work. When I try to boot from the CD I get the following error....."No Boot Filename Received". It then exits the nVidia boot loader and I get this.....BOOT DISK FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Is there something I have done wrong here? Can anyone give me any info or tips to try?

Also, the system does not have a 3.5" floppy, however I did throw one in and made the 6 bootable floppy discs for XP Pro. When I try it that way it gives me a DISC I/O ERROR and does nothing! I am very frustrated at this point needless to say so hopefully I am just overlooking something or doing something just a bit wrong! Thanks for any info you guys can provide!!!

are you setting up for PXE??? Sounds like network install. Go into bios and disable... forget what it says, but something about wake on lan support and remote lan installation type thing. Sorry, cant get more technical than that but for the life of me can't remember exact thing... brain fart. I do know, however, it sounds like a remote network installation. So check bios.

If worse comes to worse remove the ethernet card and then start again. Once the o/s is installed, then put it back in. That way it wont try to boot and install off of a RIS... I'm assuming the NIC is PXE compliant.

Hello,

You may need to check to see if your CD-ROM drivers are set to slave and master. Then I would set all boot devices to CD-ROM drive and see if that will help. Like the others say you may have a conflicting device, disable all devices you are not using, basically any onboard hardware that you are not using. Double check the connections to your CD-ROM and CD-RW. You may want to disconnect all devices except for the DVD-ROM and hard drive and try to install. Reconnect everything once the OS is installed.

Hope this helps.

I'd still remove the NIC and try then. The newer NICS are PXE. They SHOULDN"T start a remote installation, but hey.. things happen ;) The error 'No boot filename received' is associated with a remote install server. So, when booting up for some reason, it is trying to do a remote installation via ethernet. The firmware on the NIC (as most new ones) support this PXE, or network installation aministration. So... if all else fails, remove the NIC and try installing that way.

I too recently experienced this. I was working on an Athlon machine with a Promise Technologies IDE controller (expansion card - the controllers on the MB are fine, why they are not in use, I don't know). What I do know is that it took me removing the IDE controller completely, removing the cables that attach the hard drive & cd, then replacing everything. The PC booted just fine after that.

did u tell ur pc to first boot ur cd?
go into bios and change the boot sequence having ur cd rom boot first, see what happens

Actually, the system was working just fine before I cracked the case. The only reason I did so was to replace the CD drive, which had quit working. When I put everything back together and started the machine, I got the whole Nvidia boot loader failed...

The moron who put the system together really did a shoddy job, and I am going to get rid of the PCI IDE controller and hook up to the MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom