HardDrive formating problem for win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernel89

Solid State Member
Hey there,

I own a IBM PC, which is pretty old, I bought it in 1997, and yeah, I mean it still works great, so anyways, the OS it came with was 95, and I changed it a long time ago to a windows XP PRO with sp2, and the reason why I did that was because, I didnÂ’t own any windows 98 CD. So now I got one! And I wanted to install it on my IBM, so I booted with the win 98 CD in order to install it that way. Unfortunately, when the formatting part came, it said that there was a bad partition table, or such, in conclusion, they the installation said that there was a problem with the drive. So, I only have a 6GB hard drive install in it.

Now the weird part is when I install win XP pro with SP2 over my previous corrupted win 98 installation, it works, the formatting and all works.

So can someone help me install windows 98. Thanks

PS. The win XP with SP2 is currently formatting my hard drive.

Windows 98 does not recognize your XP partition because 98 is an old OS, and it doesn't know what NTFS is. 98 uses Fat32.

Delete all the partitions with Windows XP install disk, create a new partition, but don't format it.

Then use your 98 startup disk to format it to FAT32, then Windows 98 setup will recognize the partition.

Dont use 98. It has a major flaw that can allow people to take over your PC. M$ is going to do nothing to fix it. Espically since they are going to stop ALL support for 95, 98, 98SE and ME this month.

BetaNews has the full article. So if you plan on using this as a Internet PC be well protected.

WorldIndustries said:
Windows 98 does not recognize your XP partition because 98 is an old OS, and it doesn't know what NTFS is. 98 uses Fat32.

Delete all the partitions with Windows XP install disk, create a new partition, but don't format it.

Then use your 98 startup disk to format it to FAT32, then Windows 98 setup will recognize the partition.

use the xp cd to format as fat32. as soon as it gets done, while it is saying "checking drive c", eject the xp disc. setup won't continue . hit f3 to exit

now use the win 98 disc. everything is faster this way

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Right now, windows 98 is installing, so once again thank you all for your such wise solutions!

BTW, I am going to use that pc only for MSN messenger. And I will not keep important files on it, so that way, i don't mind if a hacker screws up with my computer.

:D

Okay. that is good to hear. Much rather have people be informed aobut problems that might occur than have them come back with a major problem. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom