Downgrade XP Pro to XP Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
You might think that that's a stupid idea, but my problem is this:

Friend A bought a PC with XP pro from friend B, friend B split with girlfriend, Friend A now with said girlfriend, friend b unhappy, friends A & B no longer friends.

Friend A comes to me after all this saying his XP serial no. is bad.
I, having thought he had XP home, bought him an OEM version (of XP home) for £58. Serial doesn't work (obviously, but had to try it!)

He doesn't want to format because he has quite a few progs that he hasn't got installation discs for.

If I do an XP repair with the home disc, will the XP home serial then work?

Whadya reckon?

B

Nope. Cant repair Pro with Home Disc. Will Fubar install. Best Bet is to backup what he can. Download the apps needed and format. That is only option.

b0dge said:
...Friend A comes to me after all this saying his XP serial no. is bad...

Lets go back...

...So what happened? How did he find out that his copy of XP was bad? Did a Windows Genuine Advantage notice appear informing him...or did it fail when he tried installing Windows XP Home?

Microsoft purposely invalidated a mass list of serial keys years back (I think it's keys before 2001)...so that users are forced to activate using Windows Product Activation, and are usually forced to activate using Phone method because either keys have been copied or stolen and therefore branded as a pirate key.

Alvin is correct that a mass # of serials espicall for XP Home were deemed invalid. Call M$ before you do anything and they shoudl validate you.

Alvinc:
Yeah, it was genuine advantage that told him he couldn't download updates etc and he'd have to get in touch with MS. Haven't actually put the new home disc anywhere near the Pro PC yet.

Oh, and i tried changing the xp Pro serial key to the new one from xp home using Magical Jelly Bean, but to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom