Upgrading Graphics Card And Memory/Plz Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerheim

Solid State Member
Hello all i am wondering if anyone can help me decide on what type of memory i should get and what kind of graphcis card would suit me. Below are my computers specs, just a home computer that i use to do homework and would like to use to play a few games. I just got guild wars: factions that i heard is good but my 32MB graphics card just isnt enough i dont think because when i try and play it, things dont all show up. They recommend 512 MB of ram, and 64MB video card. I think i would know how to install a card. I have installed a new hard drive, New power supply after lightning took it out. Also can someone please explain to me what like PC2100 and 168 pin means. Also i dont have a AGP slot or whatever there called so i have to get a PCI card bus or a new motherboard which i would rather not spend that much on. Plz Help!!!

Orginal Windows Me, Now Windows XP
AMD Athlon(tm) Proccesory 1.3Ghz
256 MB DDR SDRAM 168-Pin (would like to upgrade to 512 or 1GB)
32MB PCI TNT/TNT2 Pro graphics card (would like to upgrade)
80GB Hard Drive

what kind of games are you looking to play cuz you might need to get a new motherboard, new processor, atleast 512 mb of system memory(preferably 1gig), and diffinetly new video card.

Dude keep that machine for basics and just buy something like This POS Emachines, It just isn't worth upgrading a pc like you have to play games. You will be very disapointed if you waste your money on a pci video card.

**** thats a good deal, if i buy that computer i wouldnt have to buy a new motherboard and processor. if i buy that computer and upgrade the video card, add an extra 512 mb's to get atleast 1 or 2 gigs, and maybe upgrade the processor, do you guys think i could play BF2?

you sure can.

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ Processor (with AMD 64 technology)
(2GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2)
Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce™® 410
Memory: 512MB DDR (2 × 256MB), 400MHz dual channel
Expandable to 4GB
Hard Drive: 160GB HDD (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Optical Drive: 16x DVD±RW multi-format double layer
Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital™ (SD), smart media, compact flash, micro drive, memory stick, memory stick PRO, multimedia card, USB 2.0)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU
up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available
Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high definition audio
Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
Peripherals: Premium multimedia keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back, 1 in media reader), 1 VGA external connector, 1 parallel port, 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)
Dimensions: 14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16"D
Weight: 22.5lbs

Just keep in mind it is still an emachines. The onboard geforce 6100 graphics will play BF2 just fine, If you have 1gb of ram. That system has 2x256mb so You would be better off buying 2x512mb now then plan on upgrading the PSU when you do buy a new video card.

I agree. Don't upgrade that pc. You'd be better off making a Sempron 64 AM2 build. You can probaly make a decent build for gaming for only liek $450.

If you want i can show you some linkage of what to buy.

Nerheim said:
It's Refurbished! I'm not gonna buy some peice of **** refurbished thing.

You get what you pay for its less then $300, It would be 100 times better then what you have now or if you spent 300 on your machine it still wouldn't be half of what that machine is. Go buy any pci card and some more super slow sdram and post some benchmarks, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom