Will Dell OS restore disc work on a non-dell system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicide007

In Runtime
We have a dell xps that my family uses with windows xp pro sp2(came pre-installed). Im getting a new hard drive (old one went bad) and cant re-borrow the old xp disc from a friend. Will the OS reinstallation disc that came with the dell work on the rig that i built? The mobo is biostar, but i dont think thats relevant. I just dont want to buy a new os if i dont have to.

Wouldnt recomened it. Dell discs come pre-installed with stuff based toward their systems and most likely wont have the drivers and stuff you will need.

But other than that it should work.

so, should i just buy an oem copy and instlal that, which would be $xxx, or should i just use the dell disc, which would be free.

I would definately make sure you have all the Device names and manufactorers so that you can get their drivers if needed. You can try the Dell disc but i cant guarentee that it would work. Like i said Dell discs are catered to Dell systems and might not work as you would expect if you try and use it on a different system.

I have had sucess in the past myself doing this. On several ocassions but there were a few times when i ran into some problems.

Is it a recovery disk? I think those only work if there is already an OS present on the hard drive that needs to be restored. I woulnd't do it. Like the previous poster said, it will install all the drivers and software relevant to the DELL machine, which unless the computer you're talking about is identical, it could lead to a lot of problems.

dell work oly on dells. gateway cd work on non gateways, but require activation (it won't require it on a gateway)

oh. Cause i used an old gateway to install xp pro once. Thats why i was even wondering. So, i need to buy an os disc. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom