Mouse rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, mouse rates are never constant. The program is accurate.

It looks like it depends on both the type and age of the mouse. For older mice, PS/2 is better cause old USB mice seem to be limited to 125Hz (although this tool to change the mouse rate should be tested to see if it works for old USB mice, too).
USB also uses more CPU power, but that shouldn't be a problem with todays computers :)

apokalipse said:
what's everyone's highest?
so far mine's 2863

I saw 1800 before I quit, but I got bored quick and it was moving so fast I probably missed several quad digits.

You guys are not really getting that high of a mouserate. This particular mouse rate checker is not very accurate. There have been discussions about it online. The highest you will ever get is mabey a little over 1000Hz (ex:1070hz), but that would only be a short peak, not constant. Here is a much more accurate mouserate checker that uses DirectInput:
http://rapidshare.de/files/24653155/dx_mouse_timer_dialog.exe.html

I average out at about 1020Hz (0.98ms) on my Razer Copperhead. The trick to getting the most accurate reading is to move your mouse in circles, not very fast and not to slow. At a brisk pace. When you think you have got an accurate reading, to stop moving the mouse with as little effect as possible on the reading, you must while still moving the mouse, quickly lift it off the pad. Not directly up, but glide into it, like an airplane takeoff.

BTW, if you have a USB mouse, and have the standard windows default mouserate of 125Hz, here is a program that will allow you to override that:
http://www.proarena.com/p/ftpx/f9057/gaming_tools/usbmrs11.exe.htm

You can set it to 250Hz, 500Hz and 1000Hz. Use at your own risk, if your mouse does not support the mouserate you select, there is a chance it could be damaged.

Oh FYI, afaik the windows default for a PS/2 mouse is 45hz, and it can go as high as 200-something. If USB has a limit, it has not been reached yet. The top of the line USB mice support up to 1000Hz, but it is possible to go higher (the limiting factor is the mice on USB, not USB itself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom