HD recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

addle_brains

Baseband Member
I recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard and graphics card. I was using a 40GB hard drive with windows installed and had a 10GB spare. When I rebooted with the new configuration, my computer no longer recognises the formatting on my 30GB HD. I was wondering if there is a way to recover the data, I don't want to lose it all. :( :( :(

windows does not tolerate a motherboard change and as far as i can tell from your description that is the only problem. your hdd contents are fine but windows is unbootable. you could reinstall windows over it being careful to make sure you don't format it but rather just install to the existing windows directory. you will have to reinstall your programs but your documents will be fine. alternatively you can look up how to do a windows repair which should rewrite the information that is preventing your windows booting to the new info relevant to the motherboard.

Ah, see I've installed windows on the smaller drive, but I just cannot get to the files in my larger one.

It just got worse. Maybe even unrelated. I turn on the comp.... nothing happens on the screen. I can hear the fans going and everything but nothing comes up. The light just blink the way it does when it gets no signal...ARGH!

You don't need to reformat, Or Recover the Data, when you swap a main component such as the motherboard, Boot off of your Windows XP Disc, Tell it to install, it Will Detect a previous installation, it will then give you the option to Repair. Hit R to run a repair Install, You should then be able to boot after restart.

As for your other problem, Its possible that The New Motherboard is grounding out a the Case or another metal Object within the Case.

Therefore Try Posting without the Case, with everything connected place the motherboard on a Hard Non-Conductive Surface and turn it on. Post back with results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom