Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky34

Solid State Member
Win XP Pro
2 GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 4000
160 GB Western Digital HD

I recently reformated and installed Win XP Pro on my new Western Digital HD. My previous setup was same as above but with one Hitachi 80 GB HD (Master) and one Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 20 GB HD (Slave).

Currently my WesDig HD run fine as a stand alone Master (no jumper shunt attached) but when I shut down, put the jumper shunt to show Master on the WesDig and attach the Maxtor and move it's jumper to slave, neither of the drives show up in the BIOS nor does Windows start.

When I go back to just the WesDig without the shunt and not attaching the Maxtor it runs fine. I have all my info on the Maxtor, any suggestions?

Have you tried them On separate IDE Channels. Try a different Ribbon Cable. Blow out Both slots, on the motherboard and on the Drive.

As In the Other IDE Channel, You Have two IDE Channels On MOST motherboards, Assuming you have your optical drives on the other Channel, Try the HD on it, If you have to move One optical Drive to the other channel then thats fine.

Tried seperate channels and still doesn't boot up.

WesDig jumper set to Master, Maxtor set to Slave.

Now all the Maxtor does is BEEP and click. Yes it beeps.

Unplug Maxtor, take jumper out of WesDig, PC runs fine.

lucky34 said:
Maxtor is fried. Took it outside and shot it to pieces with my AR-15.

The best thing for the Maxtor....had trouble with them since I started building computers...I have always recommended Seagate-great warranty and very dependable and quiet. But, I just read the other day that Seagate bought out Maxtor :shocked:

Go figure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom