newly built pc will not boot winxp pro cd!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noizemaker07

Beta member
hey guys. came across a very frustrating issue that im truly hoping someone can help me with. i built a machine for a buddy the other night & cannot get it to boot the winxp pro cd. verified that the boot sequence in the bios was indeed set to boot from CD/DVD first & still nothing. All i get is a flashing cursor against a solid black screen. below is a complete break-down of the hardware used.

INTEL D945GTP MAINBOARD
INTEL 3.00GHZ CPU
ATI RADEON X1600 VIDEO CARD
1GB KINGSTON MEMORY
(2) PLEXTOR 760A DVD BURNERS (1 SET AS MASTER, 1 SLAVE)
SEAGATE SATA HARD DRIVE
M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 192 SOUND CARD
LIAN LI ALUMINUM CASE
PC POWER & COOLING 510 WATT POWER SUPPLY

Also, i have tried booting with no add-on cards (video, sound) installed, using the built-in Intel graphics adaptor & still NOTHING!!!!

Please help guys.
Thanks so much.
Carmine.

are you sure all of the caables are in place an everything is firmly pushed into place.

yes, double checked every cable to make sure they were all properly seated. i just cannot figure out what is causing this issue. it's driving me crazy!!!!

Is it a genuine windows XP cd? Most new machines will not let you boot with a copied disc and require a licensed version in order to be able to boot.
If you still have problems then get the 6 floppy disk xp boot disc set that will take you up to the first blue install screen. It should read your CD fine then.

yes it is a genuine store purchased copy of XP Pro. i will try you suggestion of using boot floppies, but what would cause a new bios to not boot from a cd? my other machine is a 2001 model & it boots from cd with no problem.

thanks for the help!
Carmine.

The_likely_lad said:
Is it a genuine windows XP cd? Most new machines will not let you boot with a copied disc and require a licensed version in order to be able to boot.
If you still have problems then get the 6 floppy disk xp boot disc set that will take you up to the first blue install screen. It should read your CD fine then.

Not true....you can copy any XP CD on Nero. The Problem is activation. You need to find someone who will let you borrow a stick of memory. I'll bet you have a stick of bad RAM from Kingston!!!!!

BTW...the BIOS always reflects the total memory address even if when the memory is bad. you can Run Memtest86 (free download) and test your memory from floppy if you don't have a replacement stick.

ON the bios post screen does it show your drives properly?

This is for sure a problem with the cd/dvd rom drive. You tryed the cd in another computer and its fine? Then set the jumpers on the hdd to master and have it on the number 1 ide channel all by it's self. (you do know how to set the jumpers right) Then have the cd/dvd rom's jumpers set as the master also but on the second ide channel all by it's self. If you have it set like this and still nothing (but I bet that is the problem) then try another cd/dvd drive.

Try using a straight cdrom - not burner - I find that 1/2 of the cd burners, and even more of the dvd burners fail when booting the XP Pro cd. I always keep an old cdrom handy, and use it. I have no idea why - it just happens to me a lot - and I load 10+ machines a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom