CPU break down

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxBoBxX

Baseband Member
Well i'm some what caught up and it seems like conroe is all the rage, and amd is doomed. I was hoping to get some more oppinions. It looks like all things acounted for i would be left about $200 in my budget for a cpu i could squeeze out another $100 if need be. I'm interested in best bang for buck ratio. I have some OCing experiece with vid card but none with cpus. I will most likely use stock cooling or better but cheaper after market. If i do over clock i'm not looking to max it out. I'd just like to squeeze out a little more juice. (I had my heart set on amd before all this conroe stuff and ddr or drr2 makes no difference to me but feel free to suggest there aswell.)

So...
Given the above stipulations. What is my best bet for cpu? and what socket? Please support your suggestions.

Thank you for your time and i look forward to your responses.

I would not say AMD is doomed, but it does seem that INTEL has caught up and maybe surpassed (for a time) AMD... now I am not "on the band wagon" of AMD but I have found that for gaming it is a better performance CPU... Right now though... this is the "what's better for the buck?" stage... Is INTEL going to doninate for a time or is AMD going to come back with AM2 "Reverse Threading"???

IMO... I would go with an AMD S939 duel core 3800/4600 (if you have the money for the latter) Those are the proven CPU's right now, if that is what your looking for... if you want the bragging rights of the latest and greatest... go for the conroe... It does sound promising though I will say that... but it's just that.... bragging rights.

Nukem:
Core 2 Duo's (AKA Conroe's) are going to be more than just bragging rights. Take a look at some of the benchmarks floating around. Anandtech and Hexus are a couple. The mainstream E6400 Core 2 Duo ($224) is on par with (maybe just a hair better) then the Athlon 64 FX-62 ($1200+). The Core 2 Extreme would be bragging rights because even the mainstream Core 2 Duos smoke the Athlons. Now, Reverse HyperThreading is a rumor on AMD's side. Intel has something too, called Core Multiplexing. So, if Reverse HyperThreading comes out for AMD, Intel will have Multiplexing.

XxBoBxX:
If your still sceptical about the Conroe's, just wait until they come out on July 23rd. You can make a more accurate decision when they are actually on the shelves.

AnthraX said:
Nukem:
Core 2 Duo's (AKA Conroe's) are going to be more than just bragging rights. Take a look at some of the benchmarks floating around. Anandtech and Hexus are a couple. The mainstream E6400 Core 2 Duo ($224) is on par with (maybe just a hair better) then the Athlon 64 FX-62 ($1200+). The Core 2 Extreme would be bragging rights because even the mainstream Core 2 Duos smoke the Athlons. Now, Reverse HyperThreading is a rumor on AMD's side. Intel has something too, called Core Multiplexing. So, if Reverse HyperThreading comes out for AMD, Intel will have Multiplexing.

XxBoBxX:
If your still sceptical about the Conroe's, just wait until they come out on July 23rd. You can make a more accurate decision when they are actually on the shelves.

QFT.

Also, Nukem: The reason Athlon 64s were better in games were because of their superior architecture and shorter pipelines over the Pentium 4 series. Don't say, "AMD is better for gaming" since that is a false statement. A company being a company isn't going to have any effect on gaming performance. It's about the architecture of the processor. Now, Conroe has an architecture that is superior to the Athlon 64s' and now it is Conroe that is better in games than Athlon 64s.

how do u know this if its not even on the market yet... if there not on the market theres really no reliable source for any information unless u have gotten ahold of one :p doubtful . anyways if u can wait i would see what the conroe going to be like :p my .02

No reliable sources... I suggest you venture away from these forums and take a look at xtremesystems.org or hardforum.com

there are engineering samples are already out so... maybe you should go to cs forums or something and look at some benchies. or AT

harley3344 said:
how do u know this if its not even on the market yet... if there not on the market theres really no reliable source for any information unless u have gotten ahold of one :p doubtful . anyways if u can wait i would see what the conroe going to be like :p my .02

I could get a hold of one if I wanted. Unfortunately, I'm too young to make my own transactions and the sellers wouldn't take me seriously.

I don't have a Conroe, but there are plenty of people at various Forums on the internet who have them. There should probably be about 50 people with Conroes by now.

Not only that, but review sites have had the processors sent to them for reviewing. There are more reviews on the internet than there are independant people with Conroes (see number above).

Thanks everyone. I guese i'll just have to wait and see what the real deal is. But, I hate waiting. >_< Oh well thanks again.

To be honest, I haven't followed the Conroe benchmarks at all, or AMD upcoming CPU's for that matter, as my next upgrade will be a faster Socket 939 processor, as it should last me quite fine for the forseeable future.

I would like to see benchmarks run with Off-the-shelf components, and not reference models... this goes for both AMD & Intel.

With all the buzz about Conroe, I can only hope for the sake of progressing the technology that AMD presents something spectacular...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom