Building new Computer (Final advice req.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit 2: Ok then, I've sent both to my father to let him decide since he's fronting about 70% of the total budget. Does the more expensive corsair for $350 really do that much more for it since we are overclocking the 850?

Ah god. thank you kaname. I just re-read the specs for the mobo and found that it does indeed require DDR2...

That Ram is a titch expensive ($100 more than the previous) really that worth it?

edit; heh, you edited as I posted. thanks looking into it

It's worth it if you're OC'ing with hardcore performance in mind, they're more stable with the tighter timings. You can always go with the PC-5400 instead of the PC-6400, NCIX has it listed at $220 CAD for a 2GB DC kit which is a little cheaper. If you wanna stick with the PC-6400 just go with the 5-5-5-12 for about $280 CAD.

Whats wrong with the thermaltake, mind elaborating? IIRC, thermaltake is a really reliable PSU and 500watts should be enough to do it.

note; There is no truepower at Ncix.com mind browsing and recommending another then?

Not all 975X chipsets will necessarily work with Conroe. It might be best to at least wait until Conroe motherboards are out. (I believe they're 965G.)

OK, here it is. This appears to be the final after more research and discussion with my father:

The plan is to overclock it to 3.6 or so ghz for starters and then when games and the like actually require me to use 4.1, we'll do that

Pentium D 805
Asus P5WD2-E Premium (Intel 975x)
nVidia 7900GT (eVga brand!)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS
Thermaltake TR2 W0093 500W ATX12V V2.0 24/20 Pin Black Power Supply 120MM Fan /W SATA PCI-E Conntors
Zalman CNPS9500 LED Copper CPU Heat Sink
Thermaltake Swing VB6000BWS ATX Tower Case Black
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB (The expensive but req. one for extreme overclocking)

Yes the more expensive ones do operate a little faster because of the stability in the lower timings, and you can try lowering the timings a little more when you OC your memory.

Once again, thanks to everyone and especially kaname.

One last question; Is a 500W power supply enough? I was quickly browsing through and it appears to be a 12V at 15Amps. Will that do for all of the above mentioned parts, or do I need a better one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom