HDTV from my video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
So I decided that I may just upgrade my whole system, not sure yet though. I just bought an HDTV, and I want to use it as my monitor. Will I get HD output from my card? When I watch television through my computer, will it display the HD channels in HD on my television? I am rather unlearned when it comes to HDTV right now, any help would be good. Also, what would be the best card to decode HD and put it on my television with minimal quality loss?

You WILL get HD output from your card, but some games could be kind of sluggish if you're going all the way up to 1080 lines. You need an HDTV tuner card for your computer to watch HD channels on your new TV. Most modern video cards will decode HDTV, but if you want decent gaming performance too, a 7600 GT would be right up your alley. They run about $160. HD TV Tuner cards are about $100, and that's only for over-the-air signals. I'm not sure if they have inputs for HD Digital cable or satellite.

I'm not going to be gaming, much, if at all really. This machine is going to be my media center, so it's all for DVD's and things of that nature. Television as well.

Another thing about HD when it comes to DVD's. I know you need an HD player to watch DVD's in HD, as well as possibly HD DVD's. Will my card suffice as all I need to watch them in HD, providing that I get HD DVD's? Please dont recommend BlueRay either, thats a wee bit out of my price range, and a little bit too new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom