Dosshell freezes with usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpmwrestler

In Runtime
Hi, I have an ibm thinkpad 380xd. The battery doesn't work, so whenever I want to use it I have to plug it in. I have Ms-DOS 6.22 on the c: drive and windows for workgroups 3.11 on the d: drive. I have cd-rom support (mscdex) and recently found a usb driver and installed it. It works great! It recognized my usb key accurately and works just like windows 9x , nt, 2000 or xp. The only problem I found was that at the dos prompt, the first time you change to the drive the usb key is installed to after you turn it on each time, it says "Invalid media reading from drive e:" [Abort\Retry\Fail] but if I type "R" It does just fine. If you change to the drive in the dosshell or windows 3.1, there is no error, and if you then exit and change to that drive at the prompt, there is no error.
Well, I left it plugged in last night durring a big rain and lightning storm, but there was no power overload or anything, but today when I turned it on and tried to access the usb drive in the dosshell, the whole computer freezes and I have to restart. The really wierd thing is that in windows 3.1 or the dos prompt, It works fine. So I ran scandisk and nothing was found wrong. Any ideas?

Sorry, I figured it out. It was a memory thing. The usb drivers took up too much memory. I just rearanged the lines in my config.sys file and everything went fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom