Building new Computer (Final advice req.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelManual

Baseband Member
Alrighty, I'm finally upgrading! Moving from my old AGP AMD 2500, 512mb ram, 64mb t-41 vid card to:

Pentium D 805 (overclocking to 4.1ghz)
Asus P5WD2-E Premium (Intel 975x)
OCZ EL Gold GX XTC PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-4-3-8 184PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
nVidia 7900GT
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS
500W PSU Thermaltake

So, my question to the experts: I need to find a really heat efficient case on budget. Everything above is stretching my total budget right now, but I'm looking for around $100-125 for a case. I don't give a rats *** about looks, I simply need a very cool and efficient case. My room gets hot during winter with the window open :S

(And if you see any mis-match in the configuration, do let me know! )

edit: I should mention, I plan on buying everything from NCIX.com

What kinda cooling are you going with? You can't get it to 4.1 on air, let alone stock cooling. Look to spend another $200-$250 or so for a water cooling system. You might as well dump the 805 and get a 950 with aftermarket air for the same price, and it'll last longer. Even if you were to OC the 805 to 4.1 you'd be lucky to have it a year before you fry it.

Here's the updated version. With the Thermaltake I plan on using all 4 x 120mm slots and using the front as an Intake and the rear as the exhaust. To top it off, since I'm overclocking the 805, I'm grabbing a Zalman to counter balance the huge amount of heat it'll put out. By toms hardware specs, I should be able to get at least 3.6ghz out of it, and most likely 3.8 if I play my cards right. -- Sound about right?

One last question: (if all of the above is correct); Is my Memory compatible with everything else? Something is just nagging me about this whole setup and it's the Memory that keeps coming to my mind...

Pentium D 805
OCZ EL Gold GX XTC PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-4-3-8 184PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
nVidia 7900GT (evga brand)
250 GB HDD SATA I
500W PSU Thermaltake
Zalman CNPS9500 LED Copper CPU Heat Sink
Thermaltake Swing VB6000BWS ATX Tower Case Black

Total Cost: $1315.31

(I solved the overall cooling of my room with 2 large fans anyways, so I don't think any abnormal heat will be a factor. If anything, it'll be the coldest room in the house.)

Ridlyn said:
Did you get the 975x chipset so u can eventually go conroe?
Pretty much. I figure most of this will last a fair while and I do want to go conroe. If it proves worthy, I'll end up giving the 805 to my dad 2-3 months down he road and picking up a conroe

PixelManual said:
Alrighty, I'm finally upgrading! Moving from my old AGP AMD 2500, 512mb ram, 64mb t-41 vid card to:

Pentium D 805 (overclocking to 4.1ghz)
nVidia 7900GT
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS
500W PSU Thermaltake

So, my question to the experts: I need to find a really heat efficient case on budget. Everything above is stretching my total budget right now, but I'm looking for around $100-125 for a case. I don't give a rats *** about looks, I simply need a very cool and efficient case. My room gets hot during winter with the window open :S

(And if you see any mis-match in the configuration, do let me know! )

edit: I should mention, I plan on buying everything from NCIX.com

Ditto on moving up to the 950... but also, why would you buy NCIX.com when you could buy Newegg? I went there and all the prices are higher. And it's not like service could get better than Newegg.

Dan

Reason for not going Newegg: One, my dads' friend has a membership discount there, around 10-15% on most product (not bad, eh) and I'm a proud Canadian and last I checked, newegg doesn't ship to the Frozen north

Your memory is not compatible, you need 240-pin DDR2, If you're going all out, get this memory - http://search.ncix.com/displayproductdetail.php?sku=18580&vpn=TWIN2X2048-6400C4&manufacture=CORSAIR
It's pretty pricey but if yor're overclocking you'll need it. They also have the same memory with tighter timings, almost DDR timings actually, but those are twice as expensive.

Here's a good set that'll do the job for about $100 CAD less.

http://search.ncix.com/displayproductdetail.php?sku=18581&vpn=TWIN2X2048-6400&manufacture=CORSAIR

And if you wanna stick with OCZ here's one wiht a rebate.

http://search.ncix.com/displayprodu...CZ28002048ELDCGE-K&manufacture=OCZ TECHNOLOGY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom