slow reboot on upgraded win 2k3 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

selina

In Runtime
we upgraded our client's server to win 2k3 from 2k sp4 this past saturday.
everything went fine until we rebooted it after the upgrade. it took about 5-10 min to reboot . what we noticed at boot up was that it was stuck at the screen saying "windows is establishing network connection..." for about 5min by itself. it eventually boots up with no error logged on. and we noticed that DNS service wasn't running. even when we start it manually, it just stopped. regardless, we needed to install R2 and we did. rebooted again. the same thing. long reboot and no DNS service. but after we left it for a while (about 1hr), DNS service started running.
now our questions are:
1. why did (or does) it take so long to boot up?
2. what was causing DNS service not to run?
3. what started DNS service to run after all?
4. did DNS service just needed some time to start on its own? were we just impatient?

all other local servers are still on 2k. one of them is exchange and we have exchange 2k3 on it. we were too unsure to upgrade this win2k to 2k3... we need to find out the above questions before i move to the other servers upgrade.

any help is appreciated!!

You probably have a bunch of junk installed on your machine that you dont need....extra servers and stuff....

If your looking for a server....many prefer linux....windows is extremely succeptable to lsass attacks.....and thats coming from somebody who installed a pro version provided free through MSNDAA and chucked it for a debian distro....

hi read somewhere to check the system info and see if there is any bad device or conflict devices. but i lost that link and can't find it!! does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom