Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volume License Key Changes, End to VLK Piracy?

Corporate Edition" versions of Windows have been the blessing of both IT workers and casual pirates since the days of Windows 95, when the operating system first started asking for a license key on installation.

Large firms and OEMs who did not want to go through the hassle of typing in a CD key for every install received Volume License Keys (VLKs) that could be used on as many installs as necessary. Microsoft relied on the honor system to ensure that companies did not abuse this privilege, but it looks as if with Vista this system may be ending:

"We are making changes to the process to Vista and a new approach to VLK licensing," Mike Sievert, corporate vice president of Windows client marketing for Microsoft told CRN during a recent interview. "We're training our enterprise customers and we'll do some key management for customers that's more automated and makes reporting easier."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060627-7143.html

Microsoft have started releasing updates during the Windows Vista/Longhorn beta, this one is of particular interest due to the fact that many people -including myself, have a hyper-threaded system with Windows Vista Beta 2 installed on it (not my primary system, in case you were wondering).

Update for Windows Vista Beta 2 and Windows Codename Longhorn Server Beta 2 (KB919946)

Install this update to fix an issue where in the presence of Internet Protocol security (IPsec) or Windows Firewall, a race condition can be hit on multi-processor (or hyper-threaded) systems causing memory corruption, leading to a system crash.

It is unknown if this affects the recently released build 5456, fiile date is 27th so it probably does.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ec-6a31-46a6-8238-dff1b2eb2025&DisplayLang=en

horndude said:
People are silly if they are going to sacrifice speed and power just for eye candy LOL.......and thats almost 100% of what vista is selling, if it ever actually comes out, so far its still vaporware

Maybe it's coming out with Duke Nukem Forever. :p

Makaveli213 said:
Wow. I have 32 Bit Ultimate installed and it still only take 15GB with all that stuff installed.

I stand corrected. it take up 12 gigs on the 32 bit version and all I have is incredimail installed

That still seems like a lot. Heck even Adobe Creative suite takes up more than the 3 GB that i am getting used mroe than you. Let alone Opera, Office 2007 Beta 2 and the other apps.

Maybe cause i dont have the Driver Kit installed.

With Vista not even remotely close to being in the shops yet, the software outfit Microsoft is talking about what will replace it. Speaking to The Venture Forum conference, Bryan Barnett, a manager for external research programmes in the Microsoft Research group, said that one of the areas being looked at was how to better use multicore processors.

He said that it was important to take full advantage of the processing power that those multicore architectures potentially make available. He said that this requires operating systems and development tools that don't exist today. While VoleWare does run on multicore processors, it is not fully optimised for them, he admitted.

Barnett said there is not even a time table for a Windows successor right now.

Early work includes five or six projects being undertaken in the Vole Hill labs. He said that finding a replacement for Vista was going to be incredibly hard work, despite all the resources Vole had at its disposal.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/28/HNwinsuccessor_1.html

Citing "performance issues", Microsoft said last week that it will not release Office 2007 to enterprises until "the end of 2006". The consumer launch will take place some time in "early 2007".

But David Bradshaw, an analyst with Ovum, said: "It seems sensible to keep Office 2007 in step with Vista, and Vista is already delayed, so this is not entirely surprising to us.

"There is wide speculation that Vista will be delayed again, and this would be an embarrassment for Microsoft.

"Vista is a much more ambitious project than Office 2007, and has already seen several delays. Microsoft may face the same decision again: whether to postpone Office 2007 or launch it without Vista."

The analyst suggested that delaying Office 2007 will have a minimal impact on Microsoft's product revenues as most customers will buy Office only when they need it, for example when they upgrade to new computers.

The rescheduling marks the second delay to Office 2007 this year. Microsoft said in March that it would hold back the release to coincide with the launch of Windows Vista.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2159563/vista-delays-likely-follow

Windows Successor in the Works!

Microsoft confirmed this week that they are working from scratch on a brand new architecture to replace current Windows operating systems. People had been suspicious before about this new OS being in the works, though it is now a known fact.

Apparently, the OS would "better leverage the power of multicore microprocessors, but would require software-development tools that don't yet exist." Being at the very first development stages, nothing else is known about it.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/53913/53913.html?Ad=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom