Can you run SATA and IDE simultaneously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
I have a PC I built to be a tailend 754 socket computer, that I'm probably just going to upgrade, rather than build an entire new one, if I can justify it... Off the MSI mobo in it, a K8N Neo Platinum, it can run IDE (or) SATA. Currently I run a 120GB Caviar SE IDE drive, but want to do a few things to upgrade sooner or later. Want some advice here.

Can I run a Raptor SATA drive 74GB alongside the Caviar IDE drive simultaneously? Or can it only read dual SATA or IDE at one time? Just curious.

Should I upgrade this PC, to a 256mb graphics card AGP8x slot, 7800GS or 7600, whichever it is. Upgrade from 1GB -> 2GB DDR RAM, and all that good stuff? Or would it be better off to just sell that PC or part it out and start a new build on the new AM2 stuff or going out 939 stuff.

I'm interested in the new water cooling stuff also, and would like to get into that as well, but am worried of it's dangerous possiblilty of leaking/breaking etc. under stress heh. I dunno.

What you guys think? Thanks!

You can run IDE and SATA harddrives at the same time. I have:

1 x 40GB IDE
1 x 300GB IDE
2 X 250GB SATA

You can't run a hardware RAID with an IDE and an SATA, but you can run a RAID with two SATAs and still have an IDE. I have my 40gb as /, and my 300+250+250 (using the LVM) as /home :)D 800gb!).

Hmm okay. Damnit, I was planning to run a RAID-0 setup too for kickers, so to learn more about it and get that extra performance gains out of her. Rats...well maybe I'll just ru nboth in a non-RAID if I don't just part out the PC and buy a whole new one...either that, or change the parts over to an older case and keep my new case and go bigger/better hehe. I have a full-tower case with 4 fans on it, but am thinking of going water cooling, so those wouldn't matter either way, so I might just sell the PC whole, and build a new PC for conroe or something, dual SATA raptors or something whacky :D

Yeah, I dunno about Windows, but the LVM is the Logical Volume Manager, and it lets me use kind of a RAID 0 setup, its not stripped though. You could use a software RAID, but again, I don't know how to do that in Windows. :confused:

eh that's probably too much trouble to go to for a software RAID. I may just run simultaneously in non-RAID. Thanks for the advice though hehe.

The General said:
Yeah, I dunno about Windows, but the LVM is the Logical Volume Manager, and it lets me use kind of a RAID 0 setup, its not stripped though. You could use a software RAID, but again, I don't know how to do that in Windows. :confused:

YOu don't run raid in Windows>>>>>It's set up in the bios and then you hit F6 to load your proprietary RAID controllers prior to windows setup. Prepares the OS to view the two RAID drives as one volume and then you partition them accrdingly. (if you are running RAID 0). BTW youcan run two sata drives in RAID 0 and then two IDE drives in RAID 1 or 5.

RicoDirenzo said:
YOu don't run raid in Windows>>>>>It's set up in the bios and then you hit F6 to load your proprietary RAID controllers prior to windows setup. Prepares the OS to view the two RAID drives as one volume and then you partition them accrdingly. (if you are running RAID 0). BTW youcan run two sata drives in RAID 0 and then two IDE drives in RAID 1 or 5.

I was talking about LVM and software RAID, neither of which you do in the BIOS.

apokalipse said:
I would seriously recommend against a software RAID. they are so much more prone to failure than a hardware RAID

Actually, in my experience, software RAIDs have performed faster and caused less grief and problems than hardware RAIDs. Then again, a hardware RAID in Windows may introduce some problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom