I Need Help!!! (windows Cant Load My Desktop.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
asupertech said:
If you Kill Explorer.exe with Task manager and it doesnt restart. do this...
In the Task manager windows click File
Click New Task
Type after OPEN: explorer.exe
hit enter.
well really it's (drive letter):\(Windows dir)\explorer.exe

ATIRAGEPRO said:
Allthogh it dosn't look like much, the only thing thats really waying it down in terms of performance is the processor. Being a mere 266mhz.
are you sure the CPU is 266MHZ, or is that the FSB of it?

ATIRAGEPRO said:
And neither can i install it in DOS mode because it wants some "Features" that were supposed to be in the hard drive or something. Claiming that the "Features" required were written on the box that came with the CD.
it should come up with a box to browse where the files are, try "D:\" or "E:\" (without quotes) it will depend on how many CD/hard drives you have

Another F!@#$ problem!

You'l have to excuse me but beleive me when i say that this thing might be haunted or something.

I had left my computer alone for about a week, hoping that maybe if i gave it a rest for a while, it would come through. (instead it gave birth to a completeley different problem!) But when i turned it on, it started making a loud beeping noise. The monitor wouldn't respond but just sat there.
Having a similar problem like this before i allready knew what it was. Now my computer is rejecting my graphics cards.:angry:

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28
apokalipse said:
well really it's (drive letter):\(Windows dir)\explorer.exe

Well really no. since it is a windows command, and is located in the windows directory, By default, (drive letter):\windows\*.* is already a system variable that windows understands. what that means is it is a set path.

you can edit these paths and add to them.
to add or change or edit go to...
system properties. (right click on my computer choose properties.)
choose last tab "Advanced"
choose center buttion "Environment Variables"
bottom window contains your system variables. Notice under path you will see your windows directory, and several other directories. as long as a path is set windows will look in these directories first for any command you type.

For example when you go to a command prompt, and you want to ping somthing. you dont type c:\winnt\system32\ping you just type ping. Why does it work, because the path is set in system variables. Why type more then you have too....

no reason to type when you dont have to.

Not trying to be disrespectful in correcting you, just needed to clarify....

Thanks allot for your awsome help. It allmost worked but now i have another problem. Dose anybody know how to erase BIOS\CMOS cache data?:cool:

Dose anybody know how to erase BIOS\CMOS cache data?:cool: [/B]

Uh remove the battery on the mobo for 60 seconds and then put it back in. It will remove all your CMOS data and reset BIOS to its default configuration.

How come it didn't work?

it's still rejecting the ATI rage pro card?

I was shure that would have worked.....:cool:

But when i turned it on, it started making a loud beeping noise. The monitor wouldn't respond but just sat there.
Having a similar problem like this before i allready knew what it was. Now my computer is rejecting my graphics cards.

First, find out what BIOS your mobo uses, and then look up the beep codes. It's not completing is POST, so you just need to find out what that particular beep sequence is, and you will know what parts need to be replaced. If it's rejecting all your known working video cards (have you tried both PCI and AGP cards? Or ISA if there's a slot? And is there onboard video that works?) sound like you're pretty much screwed and will need a new mobo.

That will certain do it, pulling the battery...

Or You can pull the CMOS jumper.

It will be somewhere on you MB, marked CMOS. the jumper will be on Pin 1 and 2. Move it to Pin 2 and 3. the reboot your computer. as it is booting it shoudl give you an erro saying the data and ime are incorrect. shut down the computer. Put the pin back to Jumper 1 and 2.
reboot and press F2, or DEL or F10 or what ever your motherboard says to press to go to setup.

fix the date and the time....

reboot.

As far as the beeping, yeah you need to find out what the beeping means to the motherboard. During the Post, the Bios scan all your hardware... There are specifc beep "Codes"
1 beep, mean all is good...
more then that 3 short beeps, two long beeps, one continuos beep.... all mean different things.
As always, make sure all memory, and PCI/ISA cards are seated properly, make sure all power cords are seated properly, make sure all your IDE cables are plugged in.........

I would put in your old vid card. Then uninstall you old drivers (install it as Generic PCI device... doesn't matter if its AGP or not). Also, before doing this, make sure you have the LATEST ME drivers. Then shut down, install the new card. Then boot up and install the new drivers. You may need to get a reg cleaner, or manually remove any inf and vxd files associated with the cards (ONLY if you know what to look for) and also any registry entries. If you dont know what to look for, then dont do it. You can ROYALLY screw things up by removing the wrong entry. Also, most MBD by default 2 loud beeps means vid issue. Its very possible that either the vid card was defective or not completely seated. So, make sure its in nice and snug and there are no contaminents. Oh, since this is a Hybrid board... you may have some VERY specific MB chipset drivers. Check. They maybe special IDE, PCI and AGP chipsets needed. If these are corrupt or using just generic chipsets then that'll cause a whole world of problems. Seeing as you had a bios beep code error, though, I'd say it was just a matter of the vid card not firmly seated.

for what its worth, I've found just removing the battery for 60 seconds rarely works. use the jumper on the MBD. It'll either say 'Reset', 'Bios Default', 'Password Reset', or 'Recovery'. At least, most of the ones I've seen. Just make sure you put it back into normal op mode. You COULD try (if it might be a conflict), pulling the PCI Bus in DM in safe mode, restarting and let windows resort out the whole mess. Just dont do this if you have a USB keyboard or mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom