BIOS hard disk barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

robodisco

Beta member
i've a 80G seagate barracuda 7200.7 which was installed with win xp pro and the master drive. i reformatted it recently n now i can't reinstall my windows xp for some reason. i didn't think of it as a problem as i thought i could use it as a SLAVE drive to my 30G seagate hdd. that's when the problems arose. my bios only recognises the 80G hdd as 33G when it is in slave mode. however when it is master mode, it recognises it as 80G because of the dynamic driver overlay (DDO) software inbuilt in the hdd.
i updated my bios, to no effect.
I've downloaded the seagate disc starter edition to install the dynamic drive overlay (DDO) on the 30G seagate, even then it stil does not work. even worse, i updated the DDO of the 80G hdd n now it does not recognise the 80G even in master mode! so basically i'm screwed!
reason y i can't format my 80G hdd is because i have 2 partitions, one containing data i rele need. n i doubt that it would solve any problems anyway.
Pls help. i'm just between a rock and a hard place now, and i've totally run out of ideas.
any help appreciated, thanks.

Kenny

athlon xp1800. 512ddram. shuttle ak35gt.

Do you have any other computers in your house? If so then hook up your harddrive (the one that has all the data that you really really need) to another computer...back up all your files...then try to solve the problem. Just a tip.

thing is...i cant use it as a slave nor a master now. coz it only recognises the 80G drive as 33G with RAW data on it.

make sure that the drive isn't jumpered to compatability mode (limits drive), make sure the detect in bios is set to auto. if its not in the bios, but rather when installing them if using XPPro, do NOT use fdisk. Use XP installer or diskmanager to stripe or dynamic you drives. Guess the biggest question is... is there already an o/s? Are you just adding a drive but its detected wrong? If using XP dont use FDisk or Format as they are dos commands, instead use the diskmanager in XP. If installing brand new use XP installation to create you partition and format other wise you will get incorrect configurations.

Oh, and also use NTFS. During setup on XP disk, XP when using FAT32 will only detect 32GB. To detect above that amount, use NTFS. Thats direct from MS themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom