Strange sounds coming from graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghosty

Baseband Member
Hi all I own a Gainward 6800GT and yesterday it started making funny 'tick tick tick sounds' somehitng u would hear from a geiger counter when theres radiation (well according to what i heard in games and movies anyway lol) and i was wondering if anyone knows whats wrong with it?

thank you

Does your VGA Card has a Fan it could be the fan hitting itself when it spins the heat can cause that. it happened to me once.

hi guys thanks for the reply.. i figured that it is coming from the fans and it only happens every now and then..like now there are no sounds... its really strange... if it is indeed the fan what can i do?

also i don't really know what u mean by the fan hitting itself... and yes it has fans... in fact 2 fans! one for 2D and one for 3D

What I mean by the fan hitting itself was that the fan blades can be hitting the fan's case it happened to me once . I think I did'nt expressed correctly.

Make sure none of your case fans are touching any wires of the power supply or anything else.

ya i think i know whats wrong with it..apprently theres a HAIR thats stuck one of the fan motors as in like INSIDE. i tried to take it out to no avail..is it okie to left the **** thing inside?... can i actually change those fans on my video card? i have a GAINWARD AGP 6800GT that comes with 2 fans... man... now my computer just hanged..with a beeped sound coming out of the speakers (i use a sound blaster audigy card) is that because of the graphics card problem too?

Oryou can "right" the thing inside. I wuld naot leave anything like a hair wraped arond that fan shft. Romove the fan and heatsink from the GPU. Get some new thermal paste if you do not already have some. Complete clean the fan motor shaft and fan housing of dust and debre and reinstall the fan and heatsink. If you look at the plastic tips on the opposite side of the video card you'll notice that the plastic tabs and little projectins on them. You gently sqweeze those projections together wiht a pair of needle nose pliars and push them through the card.

man i took out the hair and clean everything but the **** sound still persist..i am at my wits end now..i realised if i reduce the speed of the 2D fan to 80% the sounds disppear... i am thinking of just doing it permantly and getting an extra fan to compensate for the reduced speed. would it help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom