:RANT: Argggghhhh :RANT:

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
ARRRRGGGGHHH

Why is it that just because i can competantly use a computer in all of my family and friends eyes am i now the offical techno-wizz/geek who can supposedly fix anything from toasters to computers???

Fine I can build a computer, fine i can tweak the registry and tweak windows xp in order to get the most out of my system... but does that mean i can open up a VCR and say oh yeah i know whats wrong... its this transistor or something... NO... does it also mean that I know all there is to know about using XP... again NO!

Yet I go to see a certain party of people (who i shall not name, in case they figure out that by clicking their IE logo they can magically access the internet!) and the first thing i get is not hello, it is oh we have this problem with our computer... so i spend an hour looking at it and cant find what has gone wrong... so i tell them and all i get is "But you are an expert why cant you fix it?" no oh well thanks for trying from me... they bought their pc from someone like dell and do they think to call the helpline... nope.

Then, their vcr breaks... oh time to ask the "expert" again... well i fixed that for them, but more on blind luck than anything... but still... then their washing machine broke down... yet again I am summoned... so i told them to p**s off!

They are so obsessed with having all the most up to date technology... standalone dvd writer, 5.1 surround system, digital tv, widescreen tv, new computer... yet they never learn about any of them... they had the worst 5.1 surround speaker layout i had ever seen (3 speakers on the left, 1 in the middle and 1 on the right.... so i suggested that 2 should be behind them.... but that suggestion was ignored! They seem to want the technology then live in fear of it once they have it!

I dont have a problem with people with no knowledge that take an interest and want to learn about their technological possesions... but when i get asked to fix something while they all go off and watch tv... it makes me really f**king mad!

Sorry for ranting but i needed a vent!

-END-

I get the same thing, ever since I graduated, anything with a plug has become my "area of expertise". And you tell me what a computer and an alarm clock have in common other then they both have a clock? Give me a break people, I specialize in fixing computers and nothing else!

According to a lot of people..if you know the difference between the monitor and the actualy Computer then you're a genius and you know everything.

Here are the things you can do.

A. Fix it
B. Not fix it
if all else fails then choose C.

C. Tell them they need a new one, and give the old one to you.

I repair computers to live, not live to repair computers.

hygor said:
Why is it that just because i can competantly use a computer in all of my family and friends eyes am i now the offical techno-wizz/geek who can supposedly fix anything from toasters to computers???
I know your pain all too well.
That is one of the reasons why i stayied st00p!d when is came down to MACs. It so when I my dad askes me how to fix his computer, I can politely tell him "I don't know"

How ever, since I moved out of home, my sister has been dumped with that job. And there has been times where she just woke up on a sunday, she has not even had a coffee (let alone a shower), and my dad is bugging her how the Internet is not working. And it needs to be fixed NOW.

As for my flatmates, they have learnt the hardway to NEVER tell me that they have a computer problem as soon as I walk in the door from work. And that what ever there problem is with the computer, I will fix it when I feel like it (unless they are ready to pay the company $80 + GST per hour. If they agree to that, then I will drop everything.

Since I do work is a computer store, a lot of suddenly become my freind as they think that I know every thing about computer and that I will fix it for them for free.
I only fix the following computer for freee :-
1. Me, Myself and Mine. (there is no way I am letting any one touch them)
2. The people I currently live with. But only when I feel like it.
3. Family.
4. Gary's Computer (He's like a long term freind of mine that has gotten me out of so many tight situations in the past.)

Any one else, and I will tell them that they need to pay the COMPANY $80 per hour + GST. They normally get $#!+ty with me when I say it, but i reply to them :-
"If some thing goes wrong, personally I am not covered. If I electricute myself, then I have covered by work cover. If I screw up, and you try to sue me, then I have the company's liability to fall back on."
I will also remind them that if I do not charge to work on their computer, then it's a conflict of interest to me. And I don't like that.
And finally, I repair computers to live, not live to repair computers.
If I like them, then I might go down as low as $50 + GST.
But anyways, I have all ready had one "friend" try to sue me all ready. I am not interested in another episode of that.

I really like this site. Everything looks good. I wish my relatives were at least computer literate. My brother surfs the internet and does his resumes on the computer i set up for him, but yet has he to supply printer cartridge or other accesory. My parents are still confused by the remote for the satellite. happy easter yall

Ever since I installed my first stick of RAM, i've had the exact-same-problem

So I say, fine... you give me a mouse and a keyboard and I'll be happy... But you tell me to set the clock in your car and I will tell you that I don't even know how to set my own clock. LOL

I get the smae thing, I spent a lot of yesterday working on fmailys computers and its like an assumption that the only reason why I am there is to fix their computers.

Mac...my clock still isnt set....i need to run a wire to the battery terminal so that it stays on when the car is turned off...

ADZ said:
....i need to run a wire to the battery terminal so that it stays on when the car is turned off...

See?! Right there! I have no idea what you just said, and yet I can find a way to fix nearly any software related computer problem...:sigh:...:p

Haha! loving this rant, let me in on it!

I have used broadband for as long as I can remember but only yesterday I was asked by my uncle to give him advice on crappy 56k modem!

Last week I was asked to install a radio and speakers in my friends car!

Yes, that's one of my strategies..just tell everyone that I know nothing or just say im stupid(they're the same thing, right?).....but then again that can also backfire on you....because when I over here people talking to other people about there computer problems i put on this smurk and it really pisses people off because then they think I'm a know it all.....but i am a know it all.....i know everything!!! <evil laugh goes here> ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom