Intel 4 2.8 ghz vs. AMD Athlon 3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laxboy15

Baseband Member
What do think is better?
(800fsb)Intel Pentium 4 2.8 ghz or AMD 64 Athlon 3200+

Oh yeah and btw whats different between the amd 64 and the xp is one better then the other?

The AMD 64 is WAY better than the xp series; the 64 is a 64-bit processor. The AMDs are better than anything Pentium has, but some of the Pentiums are better than xps are for certain things. This is basically how those processors measure up (generally speaking): AMD 64>Pentium 4>AMD xp series>Pentium 3. For certain things (namely gaming and overclocking), the xp series is better than the Pentium 4 series (Pentiums generally run MUCH warmer than AMD processors do). To answer your first question, the AMD 64 3200+ is better than the Pentium 4 2.8ghz processor.

I'm a big Pentium fan, but i must admit that AMD makes great CPU's, and they are very affortable. If you're gonna buy a CPU buy a 3200+, price/quality it's much better

AMD cannot match pentiums clock speeds and with the new 3.6E ghz AMD are losing out big time

but AMD do make good cpus and i would not say they are crap i just prefer the pentium

becroydon said:
AMD cannot match pentiums clock speeds and with the new 3.6E ghz AMD are losing out big time

but AMD do make good cpus and i would not say they are crap i just prefer the pentium

Intel haven't released a 3.6ghz Prescott yet:confused: Plus the Prescott is so far behind ATM it will be until atleast next year before it will seriously challenge the AMD64

becroydon said:

AMD dosen't need high clock speeds there CPUs works great at low speeds.

Squaggleboggin said:
The AMDs are better than anything Pentium has, but some of the Pentiums are better than xps are for certain things.

Y are AMD's better even with lower clock speeds, and wat things are p4's better at? do u mean the hyperthreading ones or the normal ones?

they can complete more instructions per clock cycle because they have shorter pipelining

Athlon 64's are the first 64-bit processors for PC's they have even better architecture (even shorter pipelining) than the Athlon XP's so even at 2GHZ the Athlon 64 3000 outperforms the Athlon XP 3200

the Athlon 64 3400+, are about half the price, can do 64-bit AND can outperform the P4EE 3.2GHZ (extreme edition)
what would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom