slow pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfredw1

Baseband Member
my sister has a desktop pc,intel 2.0 ghz celeron, intel graphics, 384mb of ram, 37gigs. she bought it abou 2 1/2 years ago. the computer has gottem really slow, it takes her sometimes about 5 minutes to open "my documents". what can she do to speed it up. we took out all spyware and adware and also all viruses but its still slow. she does not have the money to buy a new one cause she is still in highschool. she gets like $100 each month from our dad. what can she buy for $100 or less to help her computer?

well....
i would look into some more memory (at least have 512mb)

a cheap video card (if she has an AGP slot) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102289

and a fresh install of a windows installation (2000 or XP)

that should speed things up

EDIT: just FYI for people reading this.. This is the perfect example of spyware and virus infections. If you are infected with a virus or spyware dont dilly dally by removing the infection, just FORMAT. No matter what traces of the infection will still be there. The key is not to get infected in the first place. That means... Firefox and AntiVirus programs along with an up to date OS complete with the latest patches

Format. After all that time there's just a build up of, useless registry entries and garbage that collects that you just can't clean out manually. Formating will fix everything. Maybe a little bit more ram aswell. Atleast 512 but I'd go for 1GB.

EDIT: Damnit UZI!! Imma kill you, you posted before me! Well anyway...format and get some more ram.

I agre with Aliasad you should get more memory but, also I would recommend to get a registry cleaner software there are may out there and it also corrects many erros that affect your computer.

Just the memory alone (512MB) and the format will make it so much smoother.

Add in a CD-RW drive to back-up data and you're ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom