Cannot apply firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjw

Solid State Member
This is my first post to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have a new Asus cd burner CB-5216A and since I've been getting some write errors etc I decided to install the firmware patch (Asus CB-5216A version1.06) listed on the Asus site. I've downloaded the file but when I run it I receive the message "The drive and firmware file are not match" (exactly that wording). I know that I've downloaded the correct version so I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. I've searched all over, including the Asus site but cannot find any solution. I've even tried downloading this file from another site with the same results. The file that I'm downloading is HHCombo_V106.zip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I wouldn't be posting this here if I wasn't sure of the model number. Anyone out there with any technical savy that might have a clue?

How are you checking the model number?? With a program or on Windows or where?? ANd as he said are you sure thats the number??

I'm checking the model number in device manager. It clearly shows the drive as the one I've listed. Also, when I rebooted after the install, windows comes up with the "found new hardware" message and gives the model number. Is there some other program that would give me this info. Also is it possible that this is NOT and Asus? I bought the unit from NewEgg and it is advertised as the model but it came in a generic package with no doc or software. It does not have Asus printed anywhere on the unit and only the tech specs.

I did a google image search for "asus CB-5216A" and it came up with this:
33_resize.JPG

unless not all CB-5216A drives are like this, there should be an Asus logo on it.

*edit*
here's the google search:
http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=asus CB-5216A&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

Thanks for the pic. No, mine does not look like that. There is no ASUS logo. I just looked at my packaging slip and it says ASUS CB-5216A OEM. The OEM is the operative word here. The definition of OEM is :
OEMs are manufacturers who resell another company's product under their own name and branding. While an OEM is similar to a VAR (value-added reseller), it refers specifically to the act of a company rebranding a product to its own name and offering its own warranty, support and licensing of the product. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers; they are the customizers.

So, now that I know that I do not have a REAL ASUS, what do I do? Why does windows think that it is an ASUS CB-5216A? What is is Really and how could I find out?

take the drive out, look at it, does the model number there match the model number anywhere else?

I did not want to pull the drive out but someone told me that since this is OEM the faceplate could very well be replaced. Since the OS is reading the unit as the CB-5216A model then for all practical purposes thats what it is. I have another DVD drive and I tried disabling that one, ran the executable but got the same mesage.

The faceplate changing means nothing, OS's can use similar or the same driver for 2 different devices, to be safe...check the model number on the physical hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom