AMD 4x4 surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will continue to hate those people as they are screwing over the rest of us...geforce7 cards were a complete joke and although the r520 revision was a step in the right direction although a tad bit expensive

4x4 is nothing but a foreshadow of a geforce 7950 mindset creeping into cpu development

gaara said:
4x4 is nothing but a foreshadow of a geforce 7950 mindset creeping into cpu development
Man, that was poetic :D

It's a band-aid solution to get AMD from K8 to K8l to K10. I doubt this will stick around as any long-term solution.

The General said:
More power = "4 times the processor power because theres four processors!!"

More money = "n00bs buy buy buy like they did with SLi"

Less R+D expenses = "cool, we dont have to waste our money on R+D to refine our architecture because we can just add more processors!"

[Awaiting Flankers inevitable criticism]

And it shall come.

First of all, you need to consider they way in which they obtain the extra performance. Its not from something noble, like designing an awesome new architecture. Its from something shamful and cowardly like just adding on another high-end processor. But yea, it does give more power. Now on to its effects.

More power does not equal more money. You seem to be under the impression that everybody with an Athlon 64 system is going to flock to this. They're not. Firstly, this is for the Uber-High-End. Info says that you will not be able to use two lower-end cores together, only high-end FX processors. Now, even if someone is able to afford one FX-series processor, they probably won't be able to afford 2 of them. The people that remain are now a miniscule part of the enthusiast market. Moving on, how many people would spend $3000 on a 4X4 system to beat a $999 X6800? Take the people that can afford that, for one, and then remove all but the AMD fanboys. I don't care how much money you have, you still won't buy that.

Less R&D expenses -- Well it seems like you're one of the people that would design something like this 4x4 idea. What you wrote up there shows sheer laziness and a total lack of enthusiasm about the business. Despite all the crap I talk about AMD nowadays, I still know the company from my previous AMD experiences. And I assure you, they are not the kind of company that would design this just to get out of R&D expenses. 4x4 was something that AMD knew it would get bashed for by the enthusiast market, but it was something that it HAD to do, for business reasons. AMD is a company that is very enthusiastic about its R&D. Thats one of the reasons they don't advertise, because they want to focus on the processors.

And they will have to redefine their architecture if they want to stand any chance at all. "Adding on more and more processors" is a flawed strategy. Its only so long before it becomes so expensive and impractical that even the greatest AMD fanboy won't touch it. Like Trotter said, its just a stop-gap solution for the time being. Although it might be interesting if AMD brings out some really nice processors later on, something better than Conroe. Now that would own. <3.

It's still lame, IMO. :rolleyes:

Infomatic said:
4x4 was something that AMD knew it would get bashed for by the enthusiast market, but it was something that it HAD to do, for business reasons. AMD is a company that is very enthusiastic about its R&D. Thats one of the reasons they don't advertise, because they want to focus on the processors.

You make a lot of sense with this, I accept defeat. :(

I don't cosider it a victory, lol. Just spouting information. Now you know, and I don't have to debate anymore. We all win.

Basically, when it comes down to it. I like AMD. I prefer their business tactics to intels as well. But there is no way in crap, as much as I biasly lean towards AMD, that I am going to fly for this strategy of theirs.

I realise they have to do it and all, but it seems to me that they'd be better off skipping this and trying to get something in the works as far as both architectural revisions of the CPU go AND the memory controller. Their memory controller is awesome, but it really should be redesigned with a new CPU architecture and I at this point I guess they'd simply need to design it more around DDR2.

Either way though, the pendulum has swung over to Intels side this time around whereas it had been AMD's for the last couple of years, so expect to see conroe and Intel leading the pack for atleast a couple of years.

I'm just hoping by the time I finish school around beginning of 2008, late 2007, AMD will have something better out that will atleast make them equal to conroe. Hopefully by that time I'll have a decent amount of cash that I can just dump into a crazy machine as well :D

Well, to each their own.... I am happy with my current build, but I will be very eager to see what the next year or two brings in... I would be willing to wager that these 4x4 systems will sell rather well... I remember that Quad SLI rig that DELL had not to long ago... (I wasn't crazy about it) and based upon the price, I couldn't see them selling very well, but if I remember correctly, they sold out in a matter of days.

They only had a handful dude. Its was a marketing gimmick. A way to make people think that "Dell is Cool" or "Dell is for Uber Gamers." Its not like they made thousands.

yeah.....they made a whole...........2 of those computers lol

OOPS WE SOLD OUT OF THEM ALREADY!!

One of them was probably bought by michael dell himself and given to his family dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom