ftp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankity

Baseband Member
im wondering if for the software Smart FTP do i have to have a server
or can i just transfer stuff from one computer to another...
i tried just connecting to my friends IP... and ...

16:55:16] Connecting to 67.184.185.148 Port: 21
[16:55:37] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[16:55:37] Client closed the connection.
[16:55:37] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[16:55:37] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58
[16:56:07] Continue to login attempt 11...
[16:56:07] Resolving host name "67.184.185.148"
[16:56:07] Connecting to 67.184.185.148 Port: 21

over and over

so how do i connect to a friends pc if it is possible...and how do i know which port

Re:

Hello,

No it's not possible...not some kind of FTP file sharing program (both of you have FTP client software).

You can only connect to servers that have FTP enabled. Normally, this is not something you could do in the home.

If you want to share files with your friend's computer, you both could set up a virtual LAN over the internet. Using software, you can easily "emulate" one. It's called Hamachi, and it allows you to set up a VLAN with many computers. All you need to do is download, and install, and share files.

Link here:
http://www.hamachi.cc/

When you go to view your workgroup, you should see his computer, and be able to browse it's files like it was a computer on your home network. (Shared files only)

radium02 said:
You can only connect to servers that have FTP enabled. Normally, this is not something you could do in the home.

If you want to share files with your friend's computer, you both coult set up a virtual LAN over the internet. Using software, you can easily "emulate" one. It's called Hamachi, and it allows you to set up a VLAN with many computers. All you need to do is download, and install, and share files.

What the h**l are you talking about. There are tons of free ftp server utilities out there. I've been running CuteFTP on an old junk box forever.

The connectivity problem they are having is probably due to closed ports on thier routers or windows firewall.

Here's a link Home ftp

Ypur best answers are in my sig....

alright thankss... the vlan sounds like jus what i needed il try it out later 2nite

dankity said:
alright thankss... the vlan sounds like jus what i needed il try it out later 2nite

Ha! Take that blitzkrieg1. :)

dankity,
Let me know if you need help setting it up. It is very easy to set up though, so you should have no problem.

im using it right now but its like really laggy specially like when im trying to open a movie

but music worked fine...
would it be better to do a remote desktop if i wanna access media off other comp?

you are going about it wrong. map network the drive

Mapdrive.jpg

Mapdrive1.jpg

this moves at 100 mbps (1000 mbps on gigabit network) as oppose to internet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom