Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyler1989 said:
What is so bad most fully featured OS's today are in the 3-4 Gig range, Gparted or another utility for partitions is also always a good move when installing more than one operating system as well. The download problem is from overloaded public servers not the operating system.

And I just will not buy the 20 gig deal as I never experianced that.

next time i format, i'll leave less than 19gig on the partition and take a picture.

Widescreen 22in display to make best use of the operating system's graphics.

Microsoft is launching a computer monitor that it claims will best show the new functions and features in its Vista operating system.

The software giant is working with Samsung to build a high-resolution, 22in widescreen Vista Monitor, which is due for release around the same time as the operating system.

Vista has been designed to look best when using a widescreen display, and Microsoft wants to ensure that as far as possible users take advantage of this. By producing a Microsoft-badged monitor, it can promote widescreen Vista use to those who upgrade from Windows XP or buy a new PC running the operating system.

Samsung confirmed it is working with Microsoft to build the monitors. Ami Randhawa, monitor product manager at Samsung, said: ?The demand is being driven by Vista. It will be branded Microsoft, but built by Samsung.?

Microsoft was contacted, but said: ?Microsoft does not comment on rumour and speculation.?

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/news/2159210/microsoft-bringing-vista-tft

****. That is alot. I got 22 GB FREE out of 37. The install also includes Adobe Creative Suite CS2, Office Beta 2, Opera, FileZilla, WLM, ETrust AV, Logitech Mouse drivers, KX Project Drivers, WinSnap and a few other applications. So i have about a dozen apps installed and i hoave just over 15 GB used.

Which version did you isntall Eric?

Wow. I have 32 Bit Ultimate installed and it still only take 15GB with all that stuff installed.

Why would the 64 bit versions take more space?? aren't they the same except one is for 64bit processors

At Windows Vista lab in Redmond before the release of Beta 2, Microsoft developers showed off the new OS to a room full of MVPs and enthusiasts. But even the company's most loyal fan base turned ugly when User Account Control took the stage. Now, Microsoft is begging users not to disable the controversial feature.

User Account Control, or UAC, is a fundamental security change coming in Windows Vista and one of the most important additions to protect users from threats, Microsoft says. But the company is struggling to find a balance between security and usability.

UAC designed to limit the damage malicious software can do to a machine by requiring that all users run in standard user mode and restricting administrator privileges to authorized processes. If a user wishes to install new software or change systems settings, they will need to enter credentials and verify the process.

"Once the OS is released, if you absolutely can't stand a security feature that is designed to protect you, by all means, turn it off," said Jesper Johansson, a Senior Security Strategist in the Security Technology Unit at Microsoft. "For now though, realize that this is beta code. It is not quite done yet, and it won't be quite right unless we get help from the people entrusted with pre-release copies of the operating system."

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Please_Dont_Disable_UAC/1151441160

Thats nothing but a bunch of cry babies it's a great sucurity feature that Microsoft copied for Linux and UNIX.

These step-by-step guides will assist IT Professionals in deploying or migrating to Windows Vista.

Included in the guides are instructions on how to control device installation using Device Management and Installation (DMI) and manage ADMX files. There are also step-by-step guides to help you protect data using BitLocker Drive Encryption, to administer the TPM Security Hardware in a computer using Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Services, and to help deploy better-managed desktops and mitigate the impact of malware using User Account Control (UAC).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e8-9983-4ab0-9685-f1bfec1e7d62&DisplayLang=en

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom