AMD 4x4 surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Nubius would disagree with what I said about how it's a good thing that they are making these advances.
I would disagree. Although you made a fairly good analogy and all, I don't think it applies to technology as well. I was just telling my dad how they should focus on building one good engine instead of putting in 2 or 4 engines....that's how I was explaining it to him.

I would consider the cores a whole engine, not just a piston. They should refine the efficiency of the engine instead of adding in another.

Intel finally got their stuff together and are making each hertz count whereas that was AMD who basically originated that.

Now a really slow Intel can crunch crazy numbers and beat the faster AMD's because they redesigned their architecture. AMD and Nvidia need to do the same.

The release of the 6xxx series was supposed to be the biggest leap in graphics that we'd seen in quite some time. We need another one of those from a breakthrough CPU instead of doubling crap up.

Agree with everything he said ^. The effort that AMD put into 4x4 was a waste of time. Even if it gives companies more power to work with, Intel can bribe their way through anything. Just today, I learned that Pixar used Intel P4s. Not because they're better than anything AMD has, but because Intel offered them a deal they couldn't refuse.

So 4x4 went to waste there. If it really was aimed at the enthusiast market, that was just foolish. Seriously, how many people are going to go out and spend $1500-$2500 on a Dual-FX 4x4 system? Well, they'd have to be fanboys to begin with, and that cuts the number down even more.

But enough with bashing 4x4. Like Nubius said, its the rest of the 98% of the market that counts. And an advance like the Conroe in the videocard arena would be just amazing. Maybe the whole "Unified Shader Architecture" that the R600 has will be something like this. I was very impressed with what Crysis had to show, and if there is a sensibly cheap videocard that can handle it, life will be good.

Infomatic said:
I've mentioned about a dozen times before that RHT only works once. It cannot make 4 cores into 1. It can only turn 2 cores into 1 core, or 4 cores into 2 cores. Anything more just doesn't fit into the process.

And RHT is a more of a rumor than Core Multiplexing. With every passing day, I doubt its existence even more. We're supposed to find out the day after Conroe is released, so I won't make any final judgements yet, since its easily implemented.

It's not out yet, therefore we have no idea. This is why I said "more than one."

And one more thing: If it's money these companies are in for, and not advancing technology, then they are doin the right thing. More power, more money, less R+D expenses.

4x4 is a stop-gap measure, pure and simple. That it may prove to actually be a valid platform is just a bonus.

With the price of CPUs dropping a bit, it could actually work for a middling amount of kaching. But if you've got a couple of FX62s laying around, as well as double the rest of the top-end hardware, you ain't worried about money, now are you?

Personally, I ain't worried about Conroe or AM2. At least, not right now. Give 'em a while to mature and then I'll worry about it.

Infomatic said:
More power != More money != less R+D.

Your post made absolutely no sense to me after reading it 5 times.

More power = "4 times the processor power because theres four processors!!"

More money = "n00bs buy buy buy like they did with SLi"

Less R+D expenses = "cool, we dont have to waste our money on R+D to refine our architecture because we can just add more processors!"

[Awaiting Flankers inevitable criticism]

Less R+D expenses = "cool, we dont have to waste our money on R+D to refine our architecture because we can just add more processors!"

Actually, it buys them some extra time for R&D. By putting 4x4 out on the market, AMD dodges the bullet for the moment. Just the announcement of it gives AMD the illusion of being on the cutting edge as well, even if it isn't a full-blown branch of research.

No hate here.

I can't afford it, but if someone has all of that laying around... well, they can afford it.

The General said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was not agreeing with Nubius, how could you agree with both of us? Well, I guess in a way I was, but only in the fact that some people don't care about money. I think Nubius would disagree with what I said about how it's a good thing that they are making these advances.

I'm just an agreeable guy. Or I may have misread something. :eek: Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom