Motherboard upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon2231

Daemon Poster
Does anyone know if it'd be possible to instead of building an all out new system, just replace my mobo?

My motherboard sucks, all it has is PCI slots, and I can't upgrade anything, so can i buy a new mobo / procesor, so I can get better upgrades in teh future?

So, my question is, can I switch a new motherboard for a new one?

Thanks!

Okay, just got done reading the article, great btw, it'll be a great help :D

But I have a couple questions..

If I swapped out motherboards, would I have to reinstall windows right? How do I do this without buying a new one?

Can I put my current processor in my new motherboard, until I get the money to buy a new one? And if I can, will it be any problem in the future switching the new processor?

When get the new motherboard in, what are the steps I have to take to get it working?

And I just want to make sure, this is the mobo i'm thinking of getting.

Mobo

And this is the case I ordered.

Case

Are they compatible?

Thanks for all the help. :D

The mobo and case are compatible, but the PSU in the case sux royally. Get an Antec or Foxconn if possible.

An OEM version of Windows (came from Dell, HP, whatever) is not supposed to be used with any other mobo besides the one that came with that particular copy. Just another way for Micro$oft to milk the world for cash. I don't know how that works exactly, but the article mentions how you might not have to reinstall. Worth a try. And if you old mobo doesn't work (say, a hammer were to fall on it a few dozen times while you were upgrading...), then you might be able to get it registered.

As long as your current CPU is a 939 then you're good to go until you can get a new one. Be sure to get some thermal paste to remount the heaysink to the CPU. Artic Silver 5 is the best.

Follow the mobo's manual to get it installed correctly. If you run into a problem, post it here on TF.

Okay, I'm understanding eveything but the Windows XP OS, I remember in the article it mentioned something about how it saved it onto the HDD, and found it when you booted up. I'm really not sure.

I'm just wondering if i'm going to have to buy another OS packet thing.

I'd try it with the Windows you have first. If it will register, fine. If you have to call, tell them you replaced the mobo, but it is still the same computer.

If all else fails, you may have to bite that cash cow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom