WTF 4000+ infected files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aye29

Daemon Poster
My parents desktop was running very slowly so I did a virus scan and came up with 4000+ files all infected with the same virus I-Worm.Netsky.C. Almost 90% of the infected files were in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared and the rest were in Yahoo Mesenger folder in Documents and Setting (don't remember the exact folder) and a few other were scattered around my drive. I have absolutely no idea how 4000+ virii got on the computer since I'm pretty sure my parents don't open strange attachments, plus I did a fresh intall of Windows XP Pro two weeks ago. I also have Zone Alarm and AVG running. Anyone have any ideas as to how this happened?

It sounds like its an email worm which in that case would explain why it was found in the Yahoo messenger folder. Not sure why Zone alarm didnt pick it up, have you tried updating it recently and see if that helps.

zonealarm isnt going to detect it as a virus, it will come up and ask if u want to allow it to access the internet and act as a server but not like alert u to the fact thats it a virus, why avg didnt i dont kno unless its one of those viruses that kills antivirus software processes

just get norton systemworks 2004, it works fine for me though it has a limited number of installation times :( i think it is either 3 or 4, dang so little

yes another good place to go.

in any case you need to clean it ASAP.

you can also download this removal tool from AVG.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_remtext.php?id=bagbugnet

It is possible that the Antivirus software was not running at the time, or the virus actually found the antivirus software and turned it off before it infected the computer...they do that now also.... quite sneaky these virus's are these days...

Dude, I wouldn't be concerned anout the virii; I'd be worried about what the folks are doing on their computer!

aye29 said:
My parents desktop was running very slowly so I did a virus scan and came up with 4000+ files all infected with the same virus I-Worm.Netsky.C. Almost 90% of the infected files were in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared and the rest were in Yahoo Mesenger folder in Documents and Setting (don't remember the exact folder) and a few other were scattered around my drive. I have absolutely no idea how 4000+ virii got on the computer since I'm pretty sure my parents don't open strange attachments, plus I did a fresh intall of Windows XP Pro two weeks ago. I also have Zone Alarm and AVG running. Anyone have any ideas as to how this happened?

Netsky creates tons of copies of the virus on the infected computer. They all have different names, and most of them would look incriminating. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom