amd 64 3700+ Clawhammer doesn't support dual mem kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotty091

Solid State Member
Hey guys & gals. I recently bought the CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) dual channel kit system (still waiting for it). I think that I saw something somewhere that said the Clawhammer core does not support a dual channel memory kit system? Is this true or am I being paranoid? I have looked for the post that I mentioned earlier about Clawhammer not supporting dual mem systems but have not been able to find it. My current processor is an AMD 64 3200+ Clawhammer. If my concern proves to be true than I am screwed in regards to my processor. Found the RAM brand new for $150.00 and couldn't pass up a deal like that. Has anyone used a simular setup and might be able to confirm or deny if this processor/memory conflict is true? Thanks!

First off, your sig is too big.

Second off, RAM is not dual channel but your motherboard is what has to support it. Dual channel RAM is the same as single channel RAM but comes in a kit of 2.

What CPU socket is your motherboard? I am thinking 754 which doesn't support it. Socket 939 does.

Well I guess that all of my questions have been answered and I know what to do from here. Looks like I will just have to turn right back around and sell the RAM. No biggie! Adios!

No. You missed the point in my first post. The RAM will still work. There is not one difference between a dual channel kit and a normal stick of RAM.

Hmm. I guess I don't understand the whole dual channel thing. I just thought they looked cool. :) But hey, I guess I bought the right kind even though I am a moron about these kinda things. Cheers!

He won't, But I gladly will :) Quoting from HERE :
The difference in single channel operation and dual channel operation is in the way the motherboard uses the memory...nothing to do with the memory modules itself. For DCDDR to work you need to have two modules of memory, ideally the same size and specifications for optimum compatability.

The CPU operates at 533mhz (fsb) and has an access door that is 8bytes (64bits...there are 8bits in one byte) wide. 533mhz x8 bytes = 4264mb/s. This is the theoretical amound of data that can pass through to the CPU per second.

In Single Channel DDR operation all the memory is in one room and there is only one access door or one channel that is 8bytes (64bits) wide. Let's say the memory is set at 333mhz. 333mhz x 8 bytes = 2664mb/s. This is the theoretical amount of data that can pass through the memory per second. This rate is lower than what the CPU can potentially put out, therefore the CPU waits for the memory.

In Dual Channel DDR operation it's like the memory is in two separate rooms with two access doors or 2 channels, each 8bytes wide (16bytes or 128bits total). The memory is at 333mhz. 333mhz x 8bytes x 2= 5328mb/s. This is the theoretical amount of data that can pass through the memory per second. Double that of what was available in single channel operation. The CPU isn't waiting any more.

Its only theoretical though, Dual channel doesnt work wonders that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom