New video card make CPU temp go up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
At least it is weird to me.
I changed from a Geforce FX5200 128mb DDR video card to a Geforce 6200 256mb DDR2 video card. I assumed I would get better performance?

One of my favorite games is Rise of Nations. It ran great on the FX5200 and I would only see degradation of quality when there was a lot of things going on on the screen. My XP 2800+ processor would never get over 43 or 44C when playing.

I put the new card in, update the drivers, and play Rise of Nations. Everything runs very smoothly except approx. 15 minutes of gameplay and the screen freezes and my processor is hitting 50C.

I don't understand how putting in a video card that has a faster GPU and more memory would not play games better and at the same time make my processor temp go up?

The CPU has to do more work to process the data since the card can do more.

The GPU also makes heat in the case which may heat up if it does not have good cooling.

What is your power supply?

My power supply is 425 watts.

I don't think my problem is entirely fixed because my processor is a little warmer than it used to be, but I looked around in the BIOS and found a setting called "Graphic Win size". It was set at 128mb and I dropped it down to 32mb just to see what would happen. Now everything is working good as far as playing Rise of Nations. So far it hasn't locked up anymore and processor temp is topping out at 47C under load.
My logic behind the "Graphic Win size" setting is (and this is just a guess) that it allocates how much RAM or processor power is used for graphics? Just a guess?

Well the BIOS setting was not a fix at all. I still can't play Rise of Nations for more than 15 minutes without lockdowns. For those of you who know Rise of Nations, it is not that graphically intensive. I mainly bought the new video card because it was a step up from my other one in GPU and memory and to play more graphic intensive games. I guess I'll just put the old one back in till I upgrade processors.

I'll give my specs just so someone else has any ideas:

AMD (barton) Athlon XP 2800+ processor
1gb PC2100 RAM
1- 80 gb WD HD
1- 20 gb Seagate HD
425 watt power supply
CD burner
CD rom

Maybe I have a power problem? I have upgraded from the stock CPU fan and heatsink to one that has an 80 mm fan and also have 3 other 80mm fans going. Maybe the higher powered video card (I guess it is higher powered?) put me over the edge?

Does your mobo has Integrated video? I think that it is enabled and your CPU is working graphics at the same that your GPU does generating more heat

The problem is fixed. It could be one of two things.

I installed a fan on the video card heatsink and I also found out that I didn't have the latest nvidia drivers so I upgraded the drivers. Everything is working flawlessly so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom