RAM Question: Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcEAgEKiLLeR

Baseband Member
This is what I have now:

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)

This is what I'm thinking about upgrading to:

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x1GB)

Is this overkill? I do game quite a bit, I usually run 1-2 programs at once. My Video Card is:

256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

Should I stick with the 2GB, or is 2GB just plain overkill?

Thanks

2gb is not overkill; its in fact the best way to go. anymore than 2gb then its overkill and in fact counter-productive.

HOWEVER, for gaming, you would do A LOT better with 1gb of ram and a better video card, than with 2gb and that crappy x600.

since you say you do a lot of gaming, i recommend getting a 7600gt instead of the 2gb. leave the ram upgrade for a later time.

But the RAM will help all around with the speed of programs, multiple functions at once...if thats any concern. I have 2 gigs RAM and a meager 128MB 6800 and I have perfectly acceptable game performance (on games like Oblivion, Dawn of War, Civ IV).

Well, at the moment I have a ATI Radeon 9700 - 64mb Video Card, All the games run on that - but become choppy after about an hour of play. Won't the x600 be a HUGE improvement? Thanks for your imput by the way

ohh you plan on buying the x600... DON'T DO IT..

no it wont' be a HUGE improvement. i would think similar performance.

where are you buying your stuff from and whats your budget

edit: oh and your old video card is agp and the x600 is pci-express. you plan on getting new mobo as well?

I am buying a whole new computer actually... with dell, the default video is the 128mb x600 but for $40 more you can get the 256mb

I thought the 256mb ANYTHING would be better than the 64mb Radeon Mobility 9700.

Tips? I'm guessing you know alot more than myself on this issue.

Where Buying: Currently with DELL
Budget: Approx 1000.00

Thanks

and do you have AIM or MSN? it may be easier to discuss there instead of here, sorry if ya think I'm weird or something - just have alot of ?s.

most people here will recommend you build your own computer!

are you up to the task?

there are many reliable websites like www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com that sell components, and we could help you choose which parts to get.

you get a lot better value when you build yourself. the consensus is that dell is only good for people buying really low end: in the $250-300 range. if you're spending $1000, you could do better building your own.

I'd love some help on building my own... however I'm not sure if I'd be good at putting it all together.

Is $1000 good enough for a well-developed computer?

BTW the Dell "I made" was about $900 with these specs:
http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/pop...spx?item=dca283c4-484a-4227-b1d9-196795bb7d77

Would building my own help get me something like this or better with only $1000?

Thanks

Also if you wouldnt mind - would you list all the parts I'd have to shop for to make a computer? I'll try this but I don't know how well it would work. Nor do I know how to start.

the link you gave doesn't work.
is gaming the main purpose for this comp?

here's a quick guide by elbatrop..

" A Computer Building Guide.....by Elbatrop1

Elbatrop1's Computer Building Guide

So you want to build a computer? Good for you! Many agree that a custom-built computer is more reliable and gives better performance per dollar than pre-built computers.

Where do you start?

The first thing you need to do is find out what the computer is going to be used for. Common build-types to Tech-Forums are: Overclocking-Gaming, Regular-Gaming, Upper Office, and Entry-Level Office Computers. Of course there are variations on these types of builds, but most follow these formats. These different types of computers all use different types/quality of hardware. It is important to choose appropriate hardware for each kind of build, so you donÂ’t waste money or get an underperforming machine.

Do Your Homework

After deciding what kind of computer to build, its time for some research. A new computer can cost anywhere between $200 and upwards of $3000 (more if you get really crazy). If you are spending that much money, you might as well make sure you do it right.

Do homework by searching Tech-Forums for computer builds with a similar budget, and go to websites such as www.anandtech.com www.xbitlabs.com and www.tomshardware.com for hardware reviews.

Choosing Parts for your new computer

Ok, now you know some of the basics of computer parts and perhaps know some parts to avoid, which brand names are good, etc. Now it is time to choose the parts to your computer. This section will focus on some considerations for you as you build your computer.

One common source of confusion is the prices of similar products. For example, one 512 MB stick of RAM can cost between $50 and $250. People may find them asking themselves what the difference between two similar looking parts, but very different prices. When similar parts have very different prices, this is where your choice of the type of computer is vital. Expensive parts are normally intended for Overclocking or Gaming computers, while the cheaper parts are normally intended for Office Computers.

Brand names of parts is another thing that should be considered when building a computer. Just like many other things, brand names may determine the reliability and performance of a part. Some manufacturers just choose to make products in favor of quality, while some in the favor of value, and some are in between somewhere. The key here is matching your needs with the appropriate budget and performance needs. This is also where your research comes in handy. Without research you would never know that a certain part is prone to problems.

Another thing to consider, while building, is upgradeability. By the way computers go, in a year or so, the one you build will be out of date. Choose parts that have room for expansion and easy replacement. Again, research is important here.

One more thing to consider is your performance needs. Remember when you picked out which computer type you were building? That is defining your performance needs. Someone who uses a computer for word processing, email, and web browsing will not need a high-end video card. On the other hand, video cards are the most important part of the computer when it comes to gaming.

Checklist for a computer build:

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Case
Speakers
Monitor
Mouse
Keyboard
Operating System

I wont say which CPU, Motherboard, etc to pick. ThatÂ’s what your research should have told you. Just make sure you have everything on that list, and you should be all set.

Hopefully that helps you new computer builders! Now that you have read this and followed the directions, you should be ready to post and ask specific questions!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom