HP/Compaq Presario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ioanni

In Runtime
hey everyone hows it going. i was looking on the net on futureshops site (best buys canadian store (best buy does exist here as well)) and i came across this this Hewlet Packard Compaq Presario. now can i get yur honest opinions, i kno its not the best system out there but its better then what i got and for the price its not bad

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10073081&catid=

$459.99 CND

AMD Sempron 3200+ @ 1.8GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM (Exp. To 4GB)
100GB (7200RPM)
48X CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Radeon Express 200 With 256MB Memory
56K V.90 Fax Modem
10/100 Ethernet
Compag Scroller Mouse & Keyboard
Windows XP Home Edition With SP2
Integrated Audio, 6 Speaker Configurable
1600MHz

I/O Ports: 6 x USB 2.0, 2 x FireWire IEEE 1394 (1 Front, 1 Back)

Software: Microsoft Works 8, Microsoft Money, Quicken 2006, Adobe Reader 7.0, Sonic DigitalMedia Plus, InterVideo WinDVD 5 Player

now it doent have a monitor but thats not a problem i can get a new one to match and until i do i have a 15" CRT laying around so i can use that, i have XP Pro SVP 1 and 2 so when it comes time to reformate thats what i would put as the OS, i would need to buy speakers, an external floppy drive and a external dvd burner (the burner to share with my couisn)

Its got an OK processor, similar to Celeron. If you are just doing online banking/internet games, its adequate. Anything like video/audio editing, it will be slow.

Also, DVD/CD-RW drive is outdated. Even Dell offers the DVD-RW drive for free with their systems. If you need to burn DVD's, there are better choices out there.

Otherwise, that's a typical Compaq = you get what you pay for.

I would recommend an Acer from Future Shop, though.

Good enough for the money, nothing too special though. Good for the basics: surfing, typing, music pictures, etc. Compaq's a decent brand I've got nothing against them. Basically they're HP but cost a little less.
I disagree with talldude about Acer, they are pretty low-end computers and tend to be pretty unreliable. They are made with the cheapest parts available and I've had nothing but trouble with them at my work.
I really can't recommend them to you.

well for now it would do. what im looking for in a computer (which i have priced to build myself, came to like 3 gran) is a system that is pretty fast 1.8 GHz is good for now i prefer intels 3.8Ghz P4 Extreme Edition LGA 775 or there 3.2 Ghz Dual Core PD Extreme Edition, but my friend has a 1.8 OC'd to 2.23 and for video editing it works pretty good (Using SOny Vegas 6 and Adobe Premeir). But i need something that can run my basic programs + 3D Studio Max 7 (for grapics), DJ Mixing/Editing Software, Architectural Programs (ie. CAD)

I would recommend an AMD Athlon 3500+ at least for those programs. Also get 1GB of memory, and 80GB Hard drive at least. A video card is optional if you want the graphics on 3D Studio Max to render smoother.

Don't touch AMD Sempron, or Intel Celeron. Both will just lag while running those programs. They are affordable, but pretty slow :(

It will make a decent base for a system.

I'd replace the CPU ASAP. The mobo is socket 939, so that would be simple.

I'd bump the RAM up to at least a gig, two would be better.

DVD burners are nice, but I seldom use mine to burn DVDs. Usually CDs.

100 gig is a start, but I'd get a decent SATA2 drive later.

The mobo sports a PCIE x16 slot, so I'd definately get a decent graphics card for it.

The HP site doesn't list what wattage the PSU is, but you'd probably have to replace it in order to have enough juice.

While building a rig from scratch would be better, you can use this one as a framework to make one as well.

of course i would upgrade the memory and the processor i would either upgrade or OC, im not too keen on OCing processor my buddie has done it on his (1.8-2.2) and it runs pretty smooth

talldude123 said:
I would recommend an AMD Athlon 3500+ at least for those programs. Also get 1GB of memory, and 80GB Hard drive at least. A video card is optional if you want the graphics on 3D Studio Max to render smoother.

Don't touch AMD Sempron, or Intel Celeron. Both will just lag while running those programs. They are affordable, but pretty slow :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom