Price vs Performance catch up

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact, the cheapest Conroe CPU will beat out the AMD X2 4800+ stock, and when they overclock.... than we will just have to wait and see what they can do but i read somewhere early speculation of up to 90% overclocks. The next Conroe up at the $220 range will beat the AMD FX-62 AM2 socket, or at least match it. So id say conroe is the way to go for sure. AMD is in a pinch.

A 90% overclock may just be luck of the draw. I'd say a 50% overclock is practically guaranteed , and on a 1.86Ghz Conroe that would put it at 2.8Ghz, which is crazy. "Can't touch this." :)

Although, it IS true that 1.86Ghz Conroes have gotten to the 3.5Ghz mark on air cooling. Thats a 90% overclock all right.

Get the 7900GT. It is better than the 7800GT for nearly the same price. Strange how that works. I was never an Intel fan as I have used AMD all my life!!!!!!!

With Conroe coming out, this may be the first Intel I would really recommend of all the previous generation Intel CPUs or for any CPUs for that matter. That good.

A 90% overclock may just be luck of the draw. I'd say a 50% overclock is practically guaranteed , and on a 1.86Ghz Conroe that would put it at 2.8Ghz, which is crazy. "Can't touch this."

Although, it IS true that 1.86Ghz Conroes have gotten to the 3.5Ghz mark on air cooling. Thats a 90% overclock all right.
The lower end Core 2 duos (known as allendales not conroes), can beat AMDs current line up. And with the OCin thing, you need a good mobo to OC them. Seein if you wanna get 3.5Ghz you need a FSB of 500mhz. not many mobos can take that. Also, if you keep the EIST feature on (which for those who dont kno, when your allendale or conroe idles, the mulitplier will descrease by one. So with a E6300 (7x multi), idlin it will have a 6x. IF YOU KEEP EIST ON!). 2.8ghz would require a fsb of 400. You can just look at the chip when OCin. I'm sure the E6300 could reach 4.0ghz and higher, but with such a small multiplier, you'd have to have a crazy stable mobo.

BTW, the good thing abou the EIST feature is to save power and produce less heat. This feature is many for laptops.

Umm...I know.

I use the term Conroe because I don't want to confuse people, lol. And its not like it makes a difference, the 2MB L2 cache hasn't affected performance in the least.

And EIST is about as useful as Cool'n'Quiet. Any self-respecting overclocker will turn it off as soon as they can get to the BIOS. And you don't generally overclock laptops. But why would they have it in Conroes? The Meroms are the ones that are going into the notebooks.

Even with AMD's price cuts come down to where both AMD and Intel have the SAME Price:performance Ration i would still go with Conroe, just because they have much better overclocking capability, and will oc far beyond what amd x2 can.

OR, look at it this way.

Would you rather spend $10 and get $10 worth of performance?

Or would you rather spend $183 and get $183 worth of performance?

You get what you pay for. Apparently, a lot more than what you pay for with the Core 2 Duos, since the price-performance ratio won't be anywhere close to the same for both.

:D

I wasnt saying it was going to. Just pointing out it will still be smaller. Even if AMD manages to get teh same ratio, i would still get Core 2 Duo just because they oc much better than amds will.

I'm not trying to be mean to you dude, I'm just showing another way of looking at it. Its also not for just you. I also want to convince other people on the forum who would read this. We're on the same side here.

(in the voice of darth vader) - "with our powers combined...we can change the weak-minded of this forum" lmao...

Mmm...So Info I think I've got my build all figured out. :)

GPU - $244.00 - eVGA Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB
LCD - $175.00 - Rosewill Black 19" 8ms LCD
HD - $80.00 - WD Caviar 16MB 250GB SATA 3Gb/s
PSU - $69.00 - Antec TRUEPOWER 2.0 550W Power Supply
TOWER - $60.00 - Aspire x-Plorer Black w/Side Window
DVD - $36.00 - DVD Burner
HDPHNS- $17.00 - ALTEC LANSING HEADPHONES
MOUSE - $6.00 - Logitech Premium Optical Wheel Mouse
FANS - $8.00 - 2x 80MM RED LED FAN For Front Intake

$735.00 w/ shipping

THEN...

CPU - $183.00 - INTEL Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz "Conroe"
MOBO - $130.00 - Intel 975x Ecpress SLI
RAM - $62.00 - pqi TURBO 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

TOTAL - $375.00

$735 + $375 = $1110

So basically I'm banking on the mobo to be that cheap. But I'm fine with 1gb of ram. looked it all up. not impressed with 2gb benches. I would be absolutely thrilled to have that pc for just over $11 bills though. I'm psyched!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom