Good-ish Conroe News

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would need a 2.3Ghz Conroe to match a 3.0Ghz Opty 165. A $315 2.4Ghz Conroe will easily be able to handle the Opty.

Remember that the Conroes are just as good, if not better, overclockers than the Opterons. You're just as likely to get that 2.4Ghz Conroe to 3.0Ghz as you are with the Opteron.

Its kind of unfair to compare a Uber-overclocked Opty to a stock Conroe.

so how much would a conroe setup cost, w/ the 315 conroe, 2 gigs of ram(somthing like the corsair twinx) and a sli mobo?

Core 2 Duo E6600 - $315 (per 1000 units. Final price might be $5-$10 higher).
2 Gigs DDR2-800 high-quality memory - $169.
SLI motherboard - Can only guess, but $130?

You could go for the lowest Conroe, 1.86Ghz E6300. That is better than a X2 4800+ at stock, and also overclocks to close to 3.0Ghz on stock air.

so the conroe should be out within a month right? dont know if i can take that, bf2 is quite addicting and my cpu is on ebay right now

July 23rd, yes.

Look at it this way; Imagine that you can only buy Pentium 4s right now. But the Athlon 64s are coming out in less than a month. Would you get a Pentium 4 right then and there, or would you wait for the Athlon 64?

Except, the Conroe-Athlon 64 difference in performance is MUCH larger than it was with the Pentium 4-Athlon 64.

I would assume that regular Socket T (S775) waterblocks would work? Then again, I'm not hip with watercooling, so I don't know.

Infomatic said:
Except, the Conroe-Athlon 64 difference in performance is MUCH larger than it was with the Pentium 4-Athlon 64.

No the P4-Athlon 64 difference is bigger. Conroes are only like 1.33times more efficient then the athlon 64's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom