thermal paste NEEDED?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just installed my big typhoon, i bent like 5 pins, but I got it back into the motherboard, I turned my comp on (amd athlon x2) and put my finger on it to see if it would heat up, sure did, do it works fine :) be careful

why on earth would you turn it on without a heatsink? read the freaking docs that come with the cpu and it will tell you never to do anything like that. almost anyone who has built a pc should know that you always put a heatsink (or some form of cooler) on the cpu. the cpu may be able to survive the temperatures it reaches without a HSF under normal conditions but it doesn't do so well at boot. the rapid increase in temperature can fry it. well you got lucky, so be more careful in the future.

travis, the pics in your sig take up too much room. i suggest you change it before a mod removes your sig.

basicly having a HS on your chip increases the surface area by like 10-50x (im guestimating). lets say that u have to dissapate 50 Watts of heat energy. your CPU has like 1 cm^2 of surface area to do this. this means that your heat flux is 500,000 W/m^2. w/ your HS, u got 50,000-10,000 W/m^2. These numbers are made up (I dont exactly how much power your chip dissapates, but the math is correct.)

CHIP BURN OUT IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO HEAT FLUX!

moral of the story:
use a freakin heatsink!

oh, yeah, and use artic silver 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom