AM2 has a sectret weapon - apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought my car analogy was quite fitting for the circumstances. RHT is HUGE for singlethread apps. We'll analogies take imagination so...uh...that's out the window. :rolleyes: No analogy is perfect, or else it wouldn't be one.

Well as soon as this Conroe comes out....We'll need to figure out how to build one of these systems for cheap.

I mean, I'll need a cheap SLI mobo; and 2GB I guess of DDR2 667 - 800 = Ouch! right now looking at $466 for the cheapest 1gb ram/cpu/mobo combination.

And what would it have been before Conroe?

X2 4800+ - $630.
2 Gigs of DDR400 RAM - $150.
A good, SLI motherboard (A8N-SLI) - $130.

$910.

Now lets make a same-performance Conroe build -

Core 2 Duo E6300 - $183.
2GB DDR2-800 - $165.
A SLI motherboard - $130?

$478.

Stop whining.

I am not whining, I was just never considering a DC build. I'm seeing the potential of it, but its slightly expensive. I had been planning a SC all along.

Of course the value of it is HUUUUUGE compared to a 939 SC build, but explain that to my parents and my brother when they see I want to drop 1100-1200 on a pc. : /

Lol...nice edit info. the "cheapest DC" just didn't make the point did it? :p I was never comparing an AMD build of equal perf...I was comparing it with my wallet!!! :p

ya see for me it wasn't like...well should I go amd...should i go intel. Its more like,

"****! I want a conroe. Can I pull it off $$$ wise w/o dropping all the other stuff?"

That's all.:cool:

Ironically, I'm in somewhat of the same situation. But I get to wait until Q1 2007 before building is even an option, lol.

mmm..ya. College starts aug 30st. so lets see...(this is newegg were talking about here) so...I need to buy august 28th! hahaha. I love newegg.

Their website has been slow today though. I bet its mostly our fault hahaha.

I can't wait to play BF2/FEAR/FarCry/QuakeIV/HL2/etc etc etc and be GPU limited with a 7900GT lmao.

SLI should haul *** with conroes. can you imagine it? multithreaded gaming with 3GHz+-amd-equivilant cpus and dual video cards. SLI used to only help in high end graphics cuz of cpu limitation, now it will show in less-than-"insaaaane" resolutions. (so BASICALLY, I feel a whole lot better about eventually getting SLI while only having a 12x10 screen)

It's crazy how bottlenecking flipflops constantly.

Well, usually, its the GPU thats holding back the CPU. SLI will increase your performance a lot, but only until the CPU becomes a limitation. The Conroe is a very strong processor, so it should let SLI'd videocards really shine through. 50%+ performance increases with SLI, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom