new AMd cpu - which do I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to think my problem was not the CPU now. I unplugged my "dead" AMD64 3200+ from the socket and powered on the computer. Every fan spins (including vid card fans) and the light from the motherboard comes on, but I hear no beeps and it doesn't post. I am 75% certain that my motherboard is suppose to beep 5 times when there is no CPU installed. So that means my problem might not be the CPU after all. However I looked at the bottom of the CPU, and near 2 of the pins there are some small black dots that look like they shouldn't be there and looked like they might have been caused by the CPU getting fried. But I'm not sure since the black dots are so small and hard to see.

What is odd is that my case fans are spinning, but they are spinning very slowly and aren't lighting up with their blue-colored LED. Could this mean that my PSU is faulty after all? Or is it because I have the fans hooked into the "FAN_ONLY" molex connectors and the PSU is limiting the power to the fans because it is detecting low temps and will give the fans more power when things heat up?

Anyway, I ordered the power supply tester like suggested. But it won't be here until wednesday of next week and I'm not waiting that long to test the power supply before I fire everything up. So I am crossing my fingers and hoping that the power supply won't fry my new opteron when I power it up monday :O

letme get the straight here mate, you powerd up you'r pc with out any cpu? if so don't get suspicious if you'r pc will act weird.

Every wrong connection or missing connection can cause problems like this, i'll give you an example.. One day I tried to connect the firewire port that is on my case side, although my mobo didn't specify it supports it (And it doesnt) I have seen a plug that fits it, so I plugged it, once I powerd it up every LED and fan in my case was barley moving (my cpu fan wasn't moving AT ALL) and I was like "Wth? My psu is dead?" --- NO! It was just the fact I connected something wrong that caused the whole power act odd --- so if you'r cpu is missing it just might cause odd problems to the rest of the pc... more likley than that the psu is dead..

heres an easier way to tell if you'r cpu is dead or not, put it on another mobo, like in a friends pc or something..

-Jo/

no it's been not working but I just removed the CPU to see if that is what was dead and the reason why it wasn't booting up. It should give me an error beep if the CPU is missing (that's why I took it out) but it didn't beep, so the problem must be with the motherboard or power supply unit.

... it doesn't have to beep if the cpu is out, in most cases I think it will just malufunction.. i'll check out for you tomorrow aite? I'll remove my own cpu just to test to see if it beeps or not... Worst case scenario I end up ruining my own mobo :D Who cares anyway its one of those old s478 mobos, I even drilled trough the socket to see if it keeps on going (And it does, not even slightest instability lol)

-Jo.

I'll hope i'll remember to check for you if it beeps.. lol

lol well thanks but of course every motherboard and bios are different. your might not beep but mine might.

i was also reading that sometimes the beep comes out of powered speakers and not the case speaker but i hooked up headphones to the soundcard built into the motherboard and hooked up another set of headphones to my soundlbaster pci card and stil no beeps.

anyway i just ordered an OCZ 700w power supply too, I'll get it monday or tuesday.

So ill put those both in to eliminate the PSU and CPU at the same time. if it still doesn't work then it must be a problem with the motherboard or the bios on the motherboard.

so my elimination process is going to look like this:

CPU -> PSU -> CASE -> BIOS -> MOTHERBOARD.

So to explain my elimination process better... I am going to put the new Opteron 165 cpu in first. If it still doesn't boot, then I'm going to put in the OCZ 700w power supply. If it still doesn't boot, then I'm going to try taking the motherboard out of the case and powering it up in a cardboard box to see if it could be a grounding issue. If it STILL doesn't work, then I'll have Asus send me a new bios chip for the motherboard since the bios could be bad. If it still doesn't work, then the board is going to get RMA'd and I'll buy a spare one while I'm waiting for the RMA, and when I finally get the RMA back I'll ebay it.

That should cover just about everything, right?

I guess so.. lol.

Goodluck and wow you bought a 700w PSU? o_O thats a lot lol, put it in anyway even if you'r current PSU ain't the problem (Unless its an even better one O_O)

lol

-Jo

get the 3800 x2 or the 4400 x2, cause the 4400 has 2mb cache and the 3800 has 1mb, which isnt a big difference. I overclocked my cpu (3800 x2) to 2.8 ghz with my big typhoon. the 3800 x2 has great overclocking ability

well I got LUCKY. Popped in the new opteron CPU, and it booted right up into the bios. So it looks like my old CPU is indeed dead and my antec power supply seems fine so far.

Only thing I'm concerned about is my volts in the bios from the antec PSU seem a bit low. 11.90 for the 12v rail and 4.90 for the 5v rail but it just might be that the 550w antec is a bit too little power to handle the SLI 7900gt config I have.

Now the only problem is windows won't load (not even in safe mode), but that's normal for a new motherboard. So looks like I'm going to have to copy the data off my hard drive with my friends computer. I just ordered a new WD Caviar SATAII 7200rpm 250gb hard drive to replace my 6 year old IDE Maxtor 80gb hard drive I have now.

You guys think it's safe to flash the bios now, or should I wait until I get the 700w OCZ PSU and windows installed tommorow?

As far as everything else goes, my temps seem OK in the bios. 42c idle for CPU and around 41c idle for the motherboard. But that's in the bios, I imagine it will be a bit higher in windows and definitely higher when I overclock this processor.

happy to hear things workin' out for ya mate.

I think its safe to flash the bios regardless to the windows and the psu..

umm, the temps, weird i recall an opteron supposed to be pretty cool-running one, my prescott runs cooler than that bro... check into that matter[unless you'r ambient temp is way higher than mine it should be a lot lower temp]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom