AM2 has a sectret weapon - apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoad, look on the XS thread. Someone has put up a screenprint showing the option to turn it on or off. For my uses I will have it on all the time as I will not really making use of 2 CPU's alot of them time. (Music and gaming is the most I do at the same time apart from the odd video editing...)

Gaming does not require two cores yet as i have an X2. And youve got to be pretty dumb or just stubborn to run 2 games at the same time. And like the other guy said not everybody bots like you. I myself will be using this RHT IF i decide to go AM2 which is unlikely. I want K9 processors and will upgrade my 939 to max before upgrading. Or everybody could just get a server (who bots) and run a dedicated so you can use RHT. In either case, idc about either cause im not getting a Conroe NOR an AM2 processor.

Infomatic said:
Um...guys...if you'd read the other thread you could know that Intel also has something "secretly built into" the Conroe. Its almost exactly like Reverse HyperThreading, but its called Core Multiplexing in Conroe's case. It also lets the Conroe switch from a Dual Core processor to a much stronger single core processor. So RHT doesn't really give AMD any sort of edge.

If people are still going to buy K8 AM2 CPUs, I don't know what Intel can do to stop you guys. They've beaten AMD is every single way, including having AMD's rumoured secret megaweapon.

You're joking, right?

HEY! look who finally believes in reverse multithreads...once its INTEL of course! :rolleyes:

And about the price dropping I'm talking about the MOBOS too, price as a BUILD ( IE DDR2!!!!!) and maybe next January as a range.
I know its dirt cheap and a total steal. But so is a ferrari for 30K, but hey I can't buy one!

I'm probably gonna go conroe. I jsut don't want to have my build price skyrocket thats all. Conroe requires some expensive stuff. No hard feelings info :cool:

Its like AMD is saying they've got a car that MIGHT run on water....but they're not sure yet.

And Intel's all like "our new car can get 100 miles to the gallon!"

And I'm like hey this regular car is still pretty sweet :confused:

So then intel goes "oh right right...Our car run on water too.. (Right?! :( ) "

The benefit of reverse multi-threading isnt just for performance, it also makes it a lot easier to write applications, not having to worry about SMP.

Well, from what Ive been reading on this thread and the older one , it seems that no matter what, you cant go wrong with either one, Conroe or AM2.

All this talk of how there are no or very few multi-threaded apps so it doesnt matter, and how some single thread apps wont see any or much increase in performance and I realized something, alot of people have a 64bit proc (hopefully me too soon), and guess what... there are very few programs that take full advantage of 64 bit, Windows x64 is buggy as ****, Vistas not out yet in full, and drivers are only starting to turn over to 64-bit. Even games have a limited performance improvement and I see the importance of that. However I dont think that one is goign to top the other too noticabley in any game, you wont see the extra .1 fps. If anything you should look at your 'chipset' adn thik about the ATi Xpress Crossfire chipsets, those will help out probably more than the processor.

This debate over AMD/INTEL or Single thread/Multi-thread or anything really wont make that much difference.. we still need to catch up to the procs, as they're WAY far ahead of the software. So does it really matter which one just that little bit better right now? In the future sure, but for now either one will probably give about the same real world performance and truly thats what matters.

We're also debating about alot of speculation now that I think about it.

you have to take in mind that RHT Will make you'r dual core cpu useless for multitasking,
You read the part about where it says it's "DYNAMIC" and can turn itself on and off depending on the programs needing the power?

It's not like it's turning it off and making it one crappy core. You'd still be able to multitask, ASSUMING they actually create what they are talking about with some accuracy.

Hi Shifter, I've already posted a topic concerning this article earlier today. However seeing as you are a new member, and most likely aren't familiar with the forums, I will give you a helpful tip, before posting something "new", use the search feature to see if it has already been posted. This will prevent double posting, confusion, and you being embarassed.

BennyV04988 said:
HEY! look who finally believes in reverse multithreads...once its INTEL of course! :rolleyes:

Oh really? You apparently haven't read the other thread, have you? I never said anything about not believing in RHT. I simply said that it was not likely for another 2 years or so. And many people agreed with me, including Gaara. When I saw the article in The Inq. I had nothing but praise for RHT. And during my RHT research, I found that Intel had Core Multiplexing. So yay, Conroe still kick's everything else's arse. Good for me. But you can't say that I was bashing RHT.

BennyV04988 said:
I'm probably gonna go conroe. I jsut don't want to have my build price skyrocket thats all. Conroe requires some expensive stuff. No hard feelings info :cool:

Its like AMD is saying they've got a car that MIGHT run on water....but they're not sure yet.

And Intel's all like "our new car can get 100 miles to the gallon!"

And I'm like hey this regular car is still pretty sweet :confused:

So then intel goes "oh right right...Our car run on water too.. (Right?! :( ) "

What is it with you and the crappiest analogies?

Don't talk about cars and water.

AMD had a processor that was very good. Lets put it's performance at 1.0, ok? Then Intel brought out a processor that had a performance of 1.3, ok? Then AMD said that, in single-threaded apps, their processor would be able to perform at 1.6. Then Intel said, "Well, we can do the same thing," and their processors can perform at 1.8. Either way, Conroe is still on top, single or multi threads.

Tox1cThreat said:
Well, from what Ive been reading on this thread and the older one , it seems that no matter what, you cant go wrong with either one, Conroe or AM2.

Why? I'm not flaming or anything. I only wish for you to elaborate on your opinion that AM2 is just as good an option as Conroe?

Lets review a little, eh? Conroe dominates, and I don't use that term lightly, it literally dominates all K8 (AM2) processors. Lets not even focus on K8L right now, we're talking about the very near future. Conroe is massively better than anything AM2 has. The $183 1.86Ghz Conroe is better than the X2 4800+, and the $224 2.13Ghz Conroe matches AMD's best of the best FX-62. AM2 runs out of options at that point.

If you meant that both of them have RHT, then read my previous paragraph. Since BOTH of them have RHT, the Conroe is still a better buy.

Please explain to me why someone would pick a Socket AM2 AMD processor over a Core 2 Duo "Conroe" processor?

Like I said before, if people still buy AM2 processors, there is no hope for those of you. Intel has done everything that they can, including having AMD's rumoured megatechnology. I love AMD, but they don't stand a chance this time around.

Tox1cThreat said:
All this talk of how there are no or very few multi-threaded apps so it doesnt matter, and how some single thread apps wont see any or much increase in performance and I realized something, alot of people have a 64bit proc (hopefully me too soon), and guess what... there are very few programs that take full advantage of 64 bit.

Thats a technicality. We don't HAVE to have 64-bit processors. But the fact is that all new mainstream processors are 64-bit. There is no more avaliability of 32-bit processors. Even the budget Semprons have turned into Sempron 64s. 64-bit is something you get automatically, not like Dual Core, which you get to pick. Plus, who says that RHT won't make a difference? It will make a helluva difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom