x1900 stutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes, 4GB of memory can actually slow down the system more than it helps.
currently, no game uses more than about 1.3-1.5GB at a time (at max settings)

other than that, what drivers are you using? I would try omega drivers.

also, have you tried each card on its own?

I would try going into safe mode and uninstalling ALL video drivers. reboot... let the system come back up and install the driver again. you might want to also go back a driver. maybe this update doesn't like your system for some reason... go back one and try that.

If it still studders, then check something stupid like the connector. Sometimes pins are missing that are needed in some cards... swap the cable out. I have to do it with my DVI cable... My monitor didn't like the pin settings, I guess... Hope it helps.

Have you installed your chipset drivers? With out these games are stuttery.

It may be worth running memtest on the RAM, as that can also cause stutters if it isn't very healthy.

I can't remember what the number was, but the newest drivers 2 weeks ago were rubbish from ATI. I had to sort out 2 PC's which had them causing restarts. :(

meefle said:
Have you ever had an ATI card and used their drivers. IF not, then you cant say **** about them. I'm sick of hearin ppl say they suck, they dont, they may not be as good as nvidias, but they dont suck. If you cant get help here, try the DFI street forums or XS.

Ever had to use ATi's Linux drivers?

Didn't think so.

currently, no game uses more than about 1.3-1.5GB at a time (at max settings)

BF2 and Fear on Vista need ~ 2GB (I know we are just talking about XP though, just had to prove you wrong for once in my life xD)

alright so i will take out 2 gb and try the omega drivers. yea Bios only even recognizes 3gb of mem, maybe it is screwing the thing up. And no im not rich, i just sold a lot of stuff on ebay. And im not a teenager like a lot of ppl on this forum,, no offense lol. Been to college and all.

Thanks for the help guys

What are you going to do with that 2gb you're taking out? I have 2gb but i'd like 4gb. :p

I'll take it off your hands if you like.

Hey man, I own an X1900XT and the thing flies, I have all my games on max settings and they never skip a beat. I am using 2GB of RAM because that is optimal. Anymore than 2 and you are looking at a waste of money and the computer actually becomes a bit slower because it gets confused. YOU DONT NEED 4GB, lol.
And another thing... you cannot crossfire and X1900XTX and an X1900XT together. There has to be a mastercard, which runs at the same speed as the X1900XT to get technical. So yeah, lose 2GB of that RAM and setup the crossifre properly. You dont even need 2 of those cards to be honest, especially where you also have 2 7900GTX cards. One of either brand is more than enough for todays and tomorrows games. This may be an untreated case of "more money than brains" LOL, jk... but let us know how it works after removing 2gigs and fixing the card setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom