Oh, Ya! Check Out This Lapping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this about a year and a half ago on my thermalright SLK-900A for my socket A board.

Probably won't matter on CPU's with IHS's considering those things are far from flat. I've seen some people lap their IHS before as well. You should do THAT.

I've seen people try to lap on cpus without a heat spreader, directly on the core, didn't quite work the way they planed.

Yeah you did a good job noga, what did you use for a flat surface?

Sui said:
I've seen people try to lap on cpus without a heat spreader, directly on the core, didn't quite work the way they planed.

Yeah you did a good job noga, what did you use for a flat surface?

i have a glass table

you dont really need one tho. just make it even

u should DEF use wet sandpaper....
u should also DEF use a flat surface, ideally use a turn table (not for records, a polishing table) and work it from the inside to the outside rotating the HS as you go. start w/ like 800grit and work to 2000 grit.

u'll have a mirror in no time.

i dont really know how much of a performace increase u'll notice, though... with 99% silver thermal paste (AS-5), u'r pretty much covered as far as contact is concerned. and think about it... if your HS is 'perfectly' smooth, your CPU is still just as rough (WAY rougher than your HS before you lapped it) so what are u helping here?

i wouldnt mess with it unless u've got the right equipment, its too easy to lap one side better than the other (ever had a chair w/ one leg alil shorter than the rest? same kind of thing here). having a HS that is level on the bottom is actually MORE important than it being smooth.

more power to u though! good luck!

I have previously used a ceramic tile that I found, but a peice of table glass is probably a better solution.

Hey Nubius, do you think it would make a big difference if I did it on my TT Bigwater SE block?
Probably not. Especially if you're talking about a CPU with an IHS on it I doubt you'd even see a difference in temps and you'd probably just waste your time doing the work in lapping it. That's just my opinion though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom