Price vs Performance catch up

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxBoBxX

Baseband Member
It looks like i've been out of the loop a few months too long. I'm coming back to whole new slew of changing tech. So to say the least i have a few questions. Please keep in mind price vs performance.

First Processors.
Are dual cores all they claimed to be. I'm planning on building a gaming rig for around $1000. Should I go with a strong single core or a mid dual. Also I'd prefer amd to intel.

If i go amd should i bother with the am2 and ddr2 or just stick with the standard.

What real world benifit does ddr2 have over ddr? $vsPerformace.

and lastly whats up in the 200-300ish video card realm now.

Thanks

AMD x2 4600 (AM2 when they come out)

7900GT (evga - 239 [I think] after rebates right now on Newegg)

DDR2 is becoming the standard now a days, and performance is better in them, but I'm not totally sure about the differences between them... So I'l let someone who has more brain power than me handle that one. :)

Yeah, the X2's are gonna drop in price by half of what I heard after Intel's new processor are released

XxBoBxX said:

First Processors.
Are dual cores all they claimed to be. I'm planning on building a gaming rig for around $1000. Should I go with a strong single core or a mid dual. Also I'd prefer amd to intel.

If i go amd should i bother with the am2 and ddr2 or just stick with the standard.

What real world benifit does ddr2 have over ddr? $vsPerformace.

and lastly whats up in the 200-300ish video card realm now.

Thanks

From what I've read, DDR2 (despite having higher bandwidth) will not be significantly faster than DDR. Since it's the next generation memory technology, I would get it anyways. It does cost a little more than DDR, but cheaper than Rambus (obsolete technology).

As of now, I would go with the new Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe), but if you prefer AMD, the AM2 won't "wow" you that much. You will see a difference with dual core CPUs compared to single core CPUs. Common sense tells us that having two core is better than one for multitasking. More apps and games are dual core ready(multithreaded apps) and will take advantage of the speed difference.

Video cards in the $200-$300ish range will get you a very nice video card. Some on the top of my head are: 7800GT, 7900GT, and the AGP version 7800GS.

Thanks for the help just one more quick question.

Which is better 7800gt or 7900gt?

I would assume 7900 but the prices suggest otherwise.

XxBoBxX said:
Thanks for the help just one more quick question.

Which is better 7800gt or 7900gt?

I would assume 7900 but the prices suggest otherwise.

Yeah the prices are sometimes messed up, but the 7900GT is better than the 7800GT. More pipes + higher clock (correct me if im wrong)

MUUUCH better. Its ridiculous why the 7800gt are still over 200. They're ****. the 7900gt beats the 7800GTX in fact. which is still like 350. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the 7900 GT is superior, but recent price drops have brought it down to nearly $250, and its mid-range couterpart, the 7600 GT, to about $160. Don't you love it when new stuff is both cheaper and better than its prececessor?
It's kind of the same case with Intel's new Conroe chips, which largely beat the crap out of AMD's current lineup. I'd highly recommend getting one, along with the accompanying motherboards that'll come out with them. (Don't worry about getting a cheaper Conroe. They overclock like beasts and still outshine a similarly priced AMD.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom