spybot deleted virus in registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

syringe

In Runtime
Help! I ran spybot search and destroy. It found four viruses in the registry along with a couple in other places. I clicked fix selected problems, then I restarted the computer. Now every time I type a letter on the keyboard, the computer freezes and I have to press the power button to turn it off. I can't click on the start button either. The mouse works though. Please help!

Follow these instructions carefully

Download ALL 10 programs and update if needed.

Ad Aware SE Personal Free

Ad-aware Messenger Service Plugin

Ad-Aware VX2 Cleaner Plug-In 2.0

Spybot Search and Destroy Free

Windows Defender 2 Beta

HijackThis

Ewido

CCleaner

Cleanup!

Follow these steps

Delete the prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, this folder will come back on next reboot.

Delete all cookies and temporary internet files in the control panel, Internet Options.

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable everything except your antivirus, Firewall, click apply, don¡¦t reboot yet.

Download Msconfig Cleanup below

Msconfig Cleanup

Run Msconfig Cleanup after you unchecked the items you were told to uncheck and recheck, click "Select All", then click "Clean up Selected", then click "Quit". Make sure your antivirus and firewall are not checked.

Now run each Spyware program 1 by 1. Running all 3 at the same time will slow most systems down.

When each program has finished scanning, remove everything.

Now go to the recycle bin and delete everything that is in it.

Then run CCleaner „² make sure you run the Cleaner section of Windows and Applications and then the Registry Cleaner. Make a backup if you wish while running the Registry Cleaner when it asks you.

When finished with the scans, reboot, and go into Safe Mode and run these scans again, remove everything they find, and then reboot back into Windows in normal mode.

Then run HiJackthis!

Save the log, copy and paste the log on www.techist.com
Do not attach the log, copy and paste always. This will make things go much faster.

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering what hijack this is.
I was also wondering how these antivirus programs will fix the problem with the registry.

Just do what he said!
Hijackthis, im not sure EXACTLY what it does but i know it will let all these pc boffins see whether you have a virus on your pc or not, so what you waiting for!?

but why tell him to download CCleaner which clears the prefetch anyway and later you say delete the folder?

Is there a difference in affect from deleting whats in it and deleting the contents only?

Re:

syringe said:
Help! I ran spybot search and destroy. It found four viruses in the registry along with a couple in other places. I clicked fix selected problems, then I restarted the computer. Now every time I type a letter on the keyboard, the computer freezes and I have to press the power button to turn it off. I can't click on the start button either. The mouse works though. Please help!

...So the freezing problem only occurred after you cleaned your system with spybot, and not before?

The fact that the problem occurred after the spybot scan leaves me to believe that spybot removed a registry key / value that is needed for system stability.

If so then before doing all those maintenance tasks listed above, I would recover your registry keys / values that were removed first. This should fix your registry problem, provided that a removal of a vital registry key started the crash.

spybotrecovery.PNG

Run Spybot, and use the recovery feature to recover the last items that were removed. There should be an icon on the left labelled 'recovery'.

Spybot probably removed an important system registry key or value, or a registry key or value related to a malicious process or program which is causing your system to crash.

If your system becomes functional again after you've done a spybot recovery, then I would go ahead and perform system scans and maintenance etc listed above...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom