Windows 2000 startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosbm

Baseband Member
Following the installation of a demo for some software the gui for Windows 2000 seems to have been corrupted.

After startup and login, both of which complete without error, all that is displayed is a blue screen and the mouse pointer. The mouse pointer can be moved around the screen but no other response is obtained. Also, the only keyboard response is to alt-ctrl-del. Access to the PC is possible only through safe mode with command prompt.

Any suggestions on how to repair the gui would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
nosbm

When you login next time, hit Ctrl Alt Del, then access the task manager. Look for "explorer.exe" you may need to "stop and restart" this process. If you look in the task manager and DONT see explorer.exe, this is the problem.

[cliffs]

Stop and restart explorer.exe

Thank you both for your responses.

Explorer.exe is not listed in task manager but when I try to start it using new task, and browsing to c:\winnt\explorer.exe, nothing happens. Also, I have confirmed that the file is in this actual folder.

The only option from safe mode that gives any access is "safe mode with command prompt"; I do not know how to uninstall software from the command prompt.

It seems to me that the demo installation has somehow corrupted or deleted something to do with the gui and that the problem is how to reverse this.

Any further suggestions much appreciated.

Best regards,
nosbm

Do you know how to navigate Directories using command prompt?

once inside the directory of the applications you can use the

del *.* command.

(DEL (ERASE) [d:][path]filename [/P])

Thank you for your suggestion but I have already manually deleted the application files using the command prompt and also removed the relevant directories with the rd command.

It seems to me that some of the default processes are not starting, if I could manually reactivate them then the system may again be usable.

Best regards,
nosbm

Please note that this problem was finally resolved by upgrading the PC involved to Windows XP and the original demo software reinstalled. This demo package is now operational, so the problem would seem to have been some incompatability with Windows 2000.

Best regards,
nosbm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom