processes grow in size after a while...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
will talking aabout memory leaks which i have no idea what it mean i just found this txt file in my c drive
* Memory Leaks *

Module # Bytes

* Max Memory Usage *

Module # Bytes
i dont know what it is but i think its bad , becouse it says memory leak...how can i test for that ..thanks

Wikipedia states that:

"A memory leak is a particular kind of unnecessary memory consumption by a computer program, where the program fails to release memory that is no longer needed. The term is somewhat of a misnomer, since memory is not leaked or lost from the computer, but rather no longer available for use.

As is noted below, a memory leak has similar symptoms to a number of other problems, and generally can only be diagnosed by a programmer with access to the original program code; however many people are quick to describe any unwanted increase in memory usage as a memory leak, even if this is not strictly accurate." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

Nevertheless they do happen I have seen them myself and are usually a result of a poorly written application or driver. Use to be a big problem in early versions of Windows and Novell Netware (can anyone say memory pools.. lol). Which application is causing the problem? I have no idea.

will what tools are used to test such thing ....i googled it up..but found nothing ....i mean i have 37 process..is that normal...alot of them are the same like svchost.exe

Probable causes of your memory leak are:

1. Where the program is left running, and consumes more and more memory over time.

2. Where the leak is happening inside the operating system.

Most likely you have problem #1 and there isn't a tool as far as I know to tell which application is causing it. Typically it is a time consuming process of troubleshooting where you make one change at a time. Sorry no easy fix.

Read the Wikipedia page on it I posted. Peace.

i doubt youd find a search or scanner type thing as memory leaks usually have to be spotted by someone who knows what to look for. if your saying they grow over time restart you pc and dont leavfe it on so much?

in future kinda keep track of what procceses use what amounts of RAM and maybe CPU usage and compare, maybe a particular piece of software youre using has an update to fix the problem as could be a bug or if your using any BETA products.

Oh and let me explain Svchost.exe (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services). Svchost.exe is an integral part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Now, the svchost.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. In other cases, svchost.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Check this with Security Task Manager. Peace.

Asprin, your research is right on the money. The Wikipedia article (which is what I ran into during my research) describes my exact problem. You mentioned in your post that one of the reasons that might cause this is:

"1. Where the program is left running, and consumes more and more memory over time."

This is how it happens to me. I basically leave my computer on for days straight, and eventually, the a lot of the programs increase in size.

All hope is not lost though. I did find, somewhat of a band-aid, as a solution to this problem. There is a program called "FreeRAM XP." It basically defrags your RAM. For those that might be having this problem, you may want to consider downloading this program here: http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/software.html#framxpro

To give you an example, it took a program that comsumed 5,323 KB and tuned it down to 535 KB (which is normally where it sits).

radium02 said:
Asprin, your research is right on the money. The Wikipedia article (which is what I ran into during my research) describes my exact problem. You mentioned in your post that one of the reasons that might cause this is:

"1. Where the program is left running, and consumes more and more memory over time."

This is how it happens to me. I basically leave my computer on for days straight, and eventually, the a lot of the programs increase in size.

All hope is not lost though. I did find, somewhat of a band-aid, as a solution to this problem. There is a program called "FreeRAM XP." It basically defrags your RAM. For those that might be having this problem, you may want to consider downloading this program here: http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/software.html#framxpro

To give you an example, it took a program that comsumed 5,323 KB and tuned it down to 535 KB (which is normally where it sits).
[/QUOTE

sounds good, im gunna try that!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom