Processor Does Not Run at Full Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Rider

Baseband Member
After my computer won't start a few months ago I finally gave up and decided to take it to a technician. After getting jacked $210 for a motherboard made by Abit VA-10/VA-11 worth like $50-$60 my computer now runs (my video card got changed from a geforce2 to some s3 garbage) However, now games run at only 60%. Is there a way to fix this problem? My processor is still a Athlon XP 2000+ but from its original 1.68GHz it is now only 1.26GHz (screenshot)
sys-screen.PNG

I've been told to update drivers, but they're pretty much updated. I've also been told to set my CPU Clock is to 133, but it was already that way by default.

well 133Mhz is your CPU physical FSB, not it's clock frequency. the technician probably changed your multiplier so you will need to change it back. i am thinking he did this for a reason, possibley your system won't run well without underclocking it. i don't recommend it in your case, but to set it back change your frequency multiple (multiplier) to .....i think it should be 12.5, somebody should double check that math though: 1672/133=12.5

Whenever the CMOS is cleared, the FSB defaults to 100 MHz, thus you should make the change to 133 immediately (most motherboards will tell you to check the processor at POST).

As noted above you should also make sure you select the correct model in the BIOS setup, in this, case, 2000+ (12.5 multiplier, 133 MHz FSB = ~1662.5 MHz)

I switched it back to 133MHz with the same 60% effect, this happens only when the game runs at full screen, though it was able to run at 100% with the same settings before. Can someone take a guess at what menu the multiplier setting would be under? because I can't seem to find it.

Shadow Rider said:
I switched it back to 133MHz with the same 60% effect, this happens only when the game runs at full screen, though it was able to run at 100% with the same settings before. Can someone take a guess at what menu the multiplier setting would be under? because I can't seem to find it.

Really? I sold a computer to someone with an athlon xp 2400+ and it wouldonly recognize as an 1800+, we tried lots of stuff, upping the FSB first of course. Well whenever he would run a game, it would switch back again to the 100 mhz. I eventually had to just buy a new motherboard for it to work correctly - I'd take it back and tell the technicians to give you your money back.

tylertherobot said:
Really? I sold a computer to someone with an athlon xp 2400+ and it wouldonly recognize as an 1800+, we tried lots of stuff, upping the FSB first of course. Well whenever he would run a game, it would switch back again to the 100 mhz. I eventually had to just buy a new motherboard for it to work correctly - I'd take it back and tell the technicians to give you your money back.

The motherboard wouldn't recognize the CPU? Maybe that's what happening, but I seriously doubt that the "tech" would actually refund the money, he did try to rip me off another $75 by telling me to switch to a Celeron. Oh wait, he actually did do that and only refunded $50 when I switched back to Athlon.

By the way, Alcohol 120% detects my processor as a 1.674GHz
cpu.PNG

My computer was detecting 1.26GHz when I first posted
sys-screen.PNG

Checking again now, its detecting it at 1.67Ghz again.
sys-screen041004.PNG

Here's my question...WTF is going on here??? As for the game, its still running at only 60% as it did when the comp was detecting 1.26.

ummm...problem solved? you obviously did something to fix it, oh well as long as its fixed......its not as if your machine was possed by some voodoo magic......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom