going shoppin need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthsetmefree

Beta member
well after getting the shoppin list that Elbatrop1 posted(thank you), I started to do my research. First I would like to build a computer that my daughter and I can use. it will be used for games, photos, music..ect. we are not hard core gamers at all but I figure if I am going to do something I should do it right. this is what I found:

CPU(I assumed this meant the carrier)
Aspire X-infinity ATXB6 KLW-bk/420 blacksteel atx mid tower 420w power supply for amd /intel.

1. does this mean it comes with a power supply and I dont need to purchase one?

Harddrive
western digital raptor wd 1500adfd 150gb, 10,000 rpm 16 mb cache serial ata1500 hard drive.

mother board
asus a8n32-sli deluxe socket 939 nvidia nforcespp100 atx amd

1. flash bios to 1103?<---I think this is german (j/k)

processor
intel pent D 805 smith field 533 MHZ2x1mblz cache lga 775 dual coreem64t

1. I could also get the other one at 940 / 800b mhz but do I need it?

video card
XFX ge force 6800 xtreme pvt 42 eude 3 video card

power supply
antec 2.0 tpz-550 eps12v atx 12v 550w power supply

RAM
corsair xms 2 GB(2 x 1GB) 184 pin ddr sdram unbuffered ddr400(pc3200) dual channel kit

key board
Saitek p230au(cant read my writing)

cd/dvd
nec 16x dvd/ dvd burner black ide atapi model nd3550a

please keep in mind I have no clue about any of there extra numbers and letters. I am not totally lost but I should be treated as such.

what is everyones inputs about these products, and most of all will it work(if i glue them all together)????

A Raptor is a great hard drive, but very expensive. Unless you are a hardcore gamer, I'd just go with a decent SATA one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136009
Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YD 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - $80

That motherboard is an AMD one, but you have an Intel processor picked out. If you're not going SLI, go with a nForce4 Ultra board:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246486
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D - $120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice $110

1. does this mean it comes with a power supply and I dont need to purchase one?

It does come with a PSU, but I don't know Aspire's PSU quality. Antec is normally rock-solid. 9Hmmm... NewEgg's reviews are pretty decent for the most part. And that rig won't need any more than 420W...)

Well, the LanParty Ultra-D has good onboard sound, so you really don't need a sound card (unless you're a hardcore audiophile).

A decent set of speakers will do you well.

A good LCD monitor is worth its weight in gold. I can hardily recommend the brand in my sig, but there are many great brands... BenQ, LG, NEC, Philips, ViewSonic. Even Dell's LCDs are good... but steer clear of their PCs lol. Widescreen monitors are perfect for watching movies, but sacrifice height to acheive the width.

Things to look at in LCDs:
  • Screen size - go for the biggest you can afford (19" is a good sweet spot)
  • Response time - the smaller the better for gaming... shoot for 8ms or smaller
  • Resolution - 1280x1024 or better. LCDs should be used in their native resolution.
  • Constrast ratio - the bigger the better

Keyboard/mouse - Get at least an optical mouse. If you're not a gamer, look at some of Microsoft's or Logitech's keyboard/mouse bundles (optical or laser mouse). Wireless or wired is for personal preference.

ok, read up on the suggestions and I decided to go with the western digital caviar and the AMD athlon 64 3500 venice. the write up on the box concerns me. empty it weights 32 lbs and there seems to be some cableing issues.

I guess my biggest issue will be that I will not have to upgrade everything in two years. I know new products are coming out every day but again I need a really nice reliable system. would it be worth jumping up to an AMD 3800?

I think Im good on the monitor considering I am using a plasma TV as the screen. it says it can be used as both a tv and a computer screen. cordless mouse sounds like an excellent idea.

other than that, it would seem everything is in order to order. I will wait a couple of days to see if there are any more suggestions maybe Monday and away i will order.

as for software does these things come in bundles or do I have to order them piece by piece. I havent researched this yet its going to be my weekend project.

And finally thanks a bunch for your input this is starting to feel less scarier than first thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom