dvd drive prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobr497

Baseband Member
I am a novice at this so when I recently installed a new hard drive and installed my windows 98 my dvd drive quit working.The drive is original to the computer.Anytime I insert any kind of disk it comes up"AN EXECEPTION OE HAS OCCURRED AT 0028:C18327B3 IN VXD SCSI1HLP(03)+00000583.IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE NORMALLY PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE"So then I press a key and the screen goes black and freezes up the puter.I then have to shut it down and restart.I thought maybe the drive went bad so I bought a new dvd drive and it does the same thing.So then I tried a new ide cable, no luck.I have a cd burner on the same cable and it works fine.I am out of ideas now so any help would be appreciated.Thanx in advance Bob

what was the original os on your system. If you downgraded(for whatever reason) to 98 then maybe the dvd drive is not compatible with it.

the easiet solution would be resinstall your operating system or use the restore CD, but maybe someone else has a real solution for you.

My original os is 98 and I did a reinstall already.It does not even recognize the drive when you open up "my computer".

it may be the IDE controller on the motherboard went bad. try to see what happens when you move the drive to the other controller. these are the connections on the motherboard that the cables are attaching to. if one of them is bad you need to get yourself a IDE controller card and plug it into a PCI slot.

if your drive came with a driver cd you can install them from there or you can go to the drives website and find them there. usually win xp and win 2000 all ready contain the drivers for most drives but if they dont you may have to manually install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom